Peeing dog

lily316August 9, 2009

My 20 month old neutered male dog squats when he pees. My previous dogs were female, so I'm not sure this is normal. I have noticed him on occasion when around another dog, sometimes he'll wonder over to a pole and lift his leg, but this is unusual. On our daily walks, he squats and pees like a girl. Do I have a sissy boy here??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trinigemini

What kind of dog breed do you have. My moms male bulldog also squats to pee...unless he is lifting his leg on a wall or something else.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 1:02PM
housefairy

Don't know if he's a sissy, but we had a husky who used to squat. He was a very calm dog, unlike another female husky we had which was more reflective of her breed. i.e., hard headed, ball of energy, major prey drive.

My Mom's female Corgie tries to hike her short little legs. So she's also confused.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 1:43PM
lily316

My rescued dog, Ziggy, is half Boston Terrier and half Sheltie. Picture a Boston body with the black and white markings with a pointed Sheltie face and ears. He's 22 pounds with long enough legs. He seems to lift ONLY when marking, not peeing, and always has in the year I've had him.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 2:14PM
mazer415

Does not matter the breed. Nothing is wrong with your dog. A male will lift his leg to prove to other ales he is big. Foxes will often do this as well, poop on top of a rock in hopes of keeping others away because he is a BIG fox.
So you want your pup to lift his leg, go socialize hiim. right now he has no reason to "prove" his territory is his. He will learn from other males to lift his leg - so it is off to a local dog park for you, or if you see a neighbor with a male dog ask if you can walk together. Your furbaby will be doing his macho stuff in no time.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 2:24PM
lily316

Ziggy IS a very social dog. He's been to the dog park four times in cooler weather and gets along fine. On our daily two/three mile walk we encounter all sorts of dogs and he has no problem. He's only scared of my daughter's 20 pound cat. But I have a cat that size who he gets along fine with. I guess it's just a quirk with him and he thinks he's macho enough with out proving it..lol

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 1:58PM
mazer415

ha. he will get it, just let him hang out with the big boys, he will be lifting his leg soon enough. Good luck. PS my 87 pound bull mastiff husky mix is also afraid of cats.....weird.

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 4:30PM
joepyeweed

My older dog stopped lifting his leg when his spine arthritis was acting up. If he didn't lift, he would end up peeing on his front feet.

I've had females who lifted legs and males who didn't. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 4:33PM
lily316

Sound the horns. Ziggy lifted his leg on the telephone pole on our walk this afternoon. Must've known I was posting about him.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 4:26PM
todancewithwolves

This is such a cute topic.

I've had males all my life. I think they learn from each other and/or some figure it out naturally. I occasionally babysit my Mom's Yorkie and she's picked up the habit of lifting her leg.

Joepyeweed, my big dog does that also.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Can I help a wild rabbit in my yard?
I live in Western NY state and I was shocked to see...
rochesterroseman
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
Cat much less active than a few months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what...
chi83
End of life care
Most of us have struggled with caring for pets at the...
socks
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™