Crate training Punkin - Anxious or spoiled?

sweetchastityAugust 26, 2010

When I try to get Punkin to rest in his crate for short periods of time, to train him, he'll just whine and howl and carry on. I think he went as long as half an hour once. I worry that it might be anxiety so I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on how long should a puppy whine before they settle down? I know each puppy is an individual but I wonder at what point is it too much where it might be cruel to keep him in it longer. He is spoiled, he wants his way and doesn't like any sort of restriction in his environment but he has also demonstrated anxious behaviour so I'm not sure if he's carrying on because he thinks he'll eventually get his way or if he's in distress.

Also when Punkin sleeps in our bed he shuffles so much like he can't find a comfortable spot. He digs deeper under or between pillows then after a few minutes gets up and goes to the end of the bed or just turns around. He seems to do this all night long, least while I'm awake, I'm wondering if this behaviour would make sleeping in a crate difficult?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carmen_grower_2007

Let's see now --- hmmm. I can sleep on the bed with mommy and daddy or I can be all alone in a crate. So hard to decide!!!! Big mistake letting him sleep with you -- now you will just have to listen to the whining until he realizes who is the boss. (a baby with the same decision, but a crib will have the very same reaction and the crying will last lots longer than 30 minutes!)

Make him stay off the bed now while you have some control and start crate-training.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 9:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetchastity

Thanks I was worried I was being a bit mean. We tried putting him in with Peanut, even his brother when they first came, but he freaked out so much more than Peanut did when we trained her. I'll be strong.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
Spray to deter cat scratching woodwork
Does the spray work? I almost bought a bottle at PetCo...
schoolhouse_gw
Need recommendation for an easy grip leash
I've seen several when google searching the subject,...
arkansas_girl
I'm new!
Hi every body ! My name adi i am going to buy a dog...
adi003
Sponsored Products
Drea Natural Iron One-Light Table Lamp
$720.00 | Bellacor
Daisy Residence
Overstock.com
Driftwood Rectangular Lamp
$415.80 | Bellacor
Gizaun Art Mountain Paradise Inside/Outside Full Color Cedar Wall Art - MP3211
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Jute Home Decorators Collection Rugs Woolen Jute
$99.00 | Home Depot
Luxury Mahogany Pet Residence Dog Crate - Large (Up to 80 lbs.)
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Bowsers Luxury Pet Crate Mattress - 13340
$51.99 | Hayneedle
Square Distressed Rustic Wood Crates (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™