Many questions about water softeners. What is the attraction?

albert_135March 27, 2014

Many questions about water softeners. A few minutes ago 7 of the first 10 questions were about water softeners. I've never had one. What is the attraction?

I've lived in the high deserts most of my life. Some are afraid of arsenic. Some complain about boron. Are these sorts of things the reason for the popularity of soft water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

If you have hard water then the attraction of proper water treatment would be less wear and tear on your plumbing, appliances, and fixtures resulting in a longer service life with fewer repairs and less frequent replacement. Clothes would last longer and you'd use less soap and detergents.

If your water has a low pH it will be aggressive interacting with your plumbing and fixtures and appliances.

If you have iron and manganese in your water then the attraction of proper water treatment would be no stains on your clothes and in your appliances.

If you're on a well and have bacteria or nitrates then the attraction of proper water treatment would be a better health and an undoubtedly happier life. Neither Giardia or Ecoli or Norovirus are pleasant experiences.

Softeners are only one aspect of water treatment. In order to understand the attraction of water treatment you'd need to know what is in your water and what the consequences of living with those contaminants would be and then deciding if you want to or not.

Water is VERY important. We drink it, wash food with it, cook with it, and bathe in it. With water what you don't know can hurt you and cost you money. A comprehensive water test is a good investment.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bcarlson78248

If you don't understand why water softeners are so popular you probably have never lived in an area with hard water. High mineral content (hard) water builds up white gunk on all the fixtures and sink spouts, prevents detergent from cleaning as well, and makes your skin feel very dry/sticky.

Soft water also has its problems (salt content, slippery feeling skin, etc.), but most are more tolerable than what you get with hard water.

Bruce

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™