Precooked Ham

whistle_gwDecember 23, 2012

I just bought a Paula Deen spiral cut ham and directions say cook @ 325* for 10 minutes per pound. Is this what you do? I was thinking longer time at a lower temp.

Thanks for your help.

Whistle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Teresa_MN

A ham is already cooked so a lower temp will be fine for reheating. Make sure it is covered with foil so it does not dry out.

I did not realize Paula Dean had her own brand of ham. Good luck and have a wonderful holiday!

Teresa in Minnesota

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 4:47PM
dixiedog_2007

It's already cooked so just reheat up slowly to prevent drying out.

Teresa, Paula Deen does not have her own ham - it is Smithfield Ham with her name on it.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 4:55PM
chase_gw

I'd go with the instructions.A producer like Smithfield knows what works best based on tests and feedback.

It's precooked and only needs warming. A Spiral Ham can dry out in a flash because it has been pre-sliced. Ask me how I know...do not overcook!!!

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 4:59PM
Teresa_MN

Good to know. I love Smithfield Ham!

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 5:00PM
whistle_gw

Thanks everyone. It is a Smithfield ham with signature glaze by Paula Deen. It has her pic on the wrapper, so I just call it a PD ham. I don't use the glaze, because I'm one who doesn't like sweet ham! I used it last year and just couldn't remember whether I followed package directions or not. It was really good so I hope I don't dry it out this year!

Merry Christmas to all. Whistle

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 6:19PM
azzalea

I bought a spiral ham last week. Not because we were having a lot of company, but because we like them.

So I had no reason to heat the entire thing. I just cut off what I needed each time (a plateful to take to a party I was going to; a few slices here and there for our dinner), and heated those up in a foil-covered casserole.

Unless you want the pretty presentation of the whole thing, and you're having a big crowd, I see no reason at all to heat the whole ham over and over, drying out the leftovers. And it saves a lot of energy--I had a 9X9 casserole for the party, only took about a half hour to heat it adequately.

So that's another alternative--just heat what you need. You can still make a pretty presentation on a platter. I added some grilled pineapple slices and a scattering of dried cranberries that I'd plumped in orange juice.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and onions
Son has requested this for Easter dinner. Would love...
glenda_al
Cookout for 150 people
I am having a cookout for my son's graduation, and...
Teffanie Hughett West
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
Sponsored Products
Seasoned Pork Ribs
$145.00 | Horchow
Hampton Brown and Camel Rectangular: 5 Ft. 1 In. x 7 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$131.07 | Bellacor
Artiva USA 2-piece Classic Brushed Steel Table Lamp with Heavy-duty Base and Ham
Overstock.com
Aizen Tall Wall Sconce by Varaluz
$199.00 | Lumens
Bite-Size Biscuits
$89.00 | Horchow
Madeira Canary Extra-large End-grain Teak Carving Board
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™