cat dental problem

robhbJuly 14, 2011

My 10 year old female cat is ferile from almost day one. Very hard to handle. She is not a affectionate cat. I recently observed she never let me inspect her. She lost almost all her teeth. She has 3 or 4 teath left. I brought her to the vet and the doctor said she had a bad infection in her mouth. She is going to pull the rest. The vet did a blood test and all was normal. She said I should have the rest pulled. I'm leaving on vacation and won't be home for a week. I didn't want the vet to do it without me be home to observe her. The vet said she don't think the cat is in pain. I've noticed her mouth is open ofthn with her tongue sticking out. I have a lot of problems. The vet said dry cat food would be alright. I have noticed when she drinks water it dripples down her mouth after she done. I'm not sure if she's eating. I left her at the vet overnight and the vet said she was eating and drinking. Remember she's ferile and rarely comes out to I go to work or bed. I don't know what to do. Any advise. By the way the vet gave her a strong shot of antibiotic that last 2 weeks. Someone please give me advise. I'm leaving Sunday. I leave my 3 cats with lots of food and water. I have someone checking them 2 or 3 times during the week. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

Any chance you could drop her off at the vet for the dental surgery and they could keep her there for observation while you are gone?

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 11:12PM
kittens

I would try to find someone that can come in a couple of times a day. Is that at all possible?

Aren't you going to have to convert her over to wet food when she has no teeth? That's going to be your biggest stumbling block if she's on an all dry diet. Will she eat canned food? Has she lost weight that you can notice?

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 11:27PM
cat_mom

Strange as it seems, I've come across cats (at the shelter where I volunteer) who have few, if any teeth, and would only eat dry food.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 8:43AM
quasifish

My old girl had just about all her teeth pulled a couple of years ago and she still loves to eat dry food, though I can't imagine feeding her only dry food. One vet told me that their palates harden up when they have no teeth and that is why some continue to eat so much dry food.

That said, however, I would not think she would want to eat dry food immediately after having the last of her teeth pulled. Can you get someone to check on her and maybe feed her wet food twice a day while you are gone? Otherwise, if at all possible, I would wait until you are going to be around to make sure she has everything she needs as she recovers.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
loose aggressive dog on walk, need help
i need helpful advice about aggressive dog in neighborhood....
adoiron
dry food for cats that can't eat dry food ;)
Howdy all, There seems to be a lot of experience here...
GWgal
how many of you like mice?
They are Ginny and scabbers.I don't have them now because...
adi003
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
Sponsored Products
Divine Swine Garden Statue - 342
$44.95 | Hayneedle
Road Trip Wall Plaque - 1187
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Danver Sink Hardware 21 in. W x 16 in. H Stainless Steel Sink Cover SC2116
Home Depot
Imperial Cat Sofa Scratch n Shapes - Chaise - 00101
$24.26 | Hayneedle
LED Cat Solar Garden Statue
$24.99 | zulily