scratches in toilet after snake

bicyclegirl1March 23, 2014

I've been posting on the Kitchen & Appliance forums for quite awhile, but this is my 1st post on plumbing. I hope you can help me with my problem.

My toilet stopped up a few days ago & I tried to plunge with no success. Called my plumber to come fix the problem while I was out of town. He came over & apparently snaked it. The inside of my toilet is scratched up pretty badly. There are 2 scratches at the bottom where the tube(?!) goes down. One is about the size of a dime & the other about 1/2 of that. It looks like debris at the bottom of my toilet! Yuk! At 1st I thought it was leaves or debris that I brought in w/ my plunger, which was out in the garage. But, when it wasn't going down, I realized it was scratches. It's a Kohler that matches my sink. It's not a very old toilet & I'm not wanting to replace it. I'm working on my kitchen & a new toilet is not in my budget. Is there something I can do to make these go away? If there's nothing that can be done, should I make him buy me a new one? I like this guy & hate to have a bad experience w/ him, but this is unacceptable. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'll try to take some pics later, but right now I don't have a camera that's working.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pima74

Turn off the water to the toilet and flush it. Then put some comet/bartenders friend or the like on sponge or rag and lightly scrub the offending marks. Porcelain is pretty hard so it probably isn't surface scratched but the metal of a toilet snake will leave surface marks on it.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 3:45PM
Gwarstong

Ditto azbound....likely surface-only and will come off easily with bartender's friend. Don't use comet...too abrasive, IMHO. Hardware stores also have small abrasive sheets designed for the purpose.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 3:50PM
bicyclegirl1

Thanks to both of you! If that's all it is, I'll be thrilled. I have barkeepers friend & comet, but will only use the barkeeper, in hopes this works. I used to have a porcelain sink in the kitchen & I loved it because it was so easy to take care of. I should have known this would work the same way. I will give you a follow up after I try it & let you know the results.

Thank you very much.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 7:48PM
Gwarstong

Thanks for coming back. Few people do.

I would like to learn results of whatever you do.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 9:06PM
BreakerOff

It could just be rust from the steel auger. Every time I use my auger I have to put around 1/4 cup of Super Iron Out powder in the bowl and let it soak. Don't close the toilet seat. The odor is strong. If barkeeper friend doesn't work, give this a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Iron Out powder

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 8:31AM
bicyclegirl1

Thanks breakeroff. I finally got to emptying the water out of the tank & taking the barkeepers friend to it today. It didn't seem to get it all, so I went for the Comet. It pretty much took care of the scratches, for the most part, but I can still see a little of it. However, if you don't know it's there, you'd never see them. I'll keep Super Iron Out powder in mind in case something like this happens again & good ole Comet doesn't do the job!

As usual, fellow GW'ers come to my rescue. So glad to be a part of this community! Thank you again everyone!

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
Sponsored Products
Sky Blue Glass Free Standing Round Toilet Brush Holder
TheBathOutlet
KOHLER Toilets Wellworth Classic 2-piece Pressure Lite 1 GPF Elongated Toilet
Home Depot
Smithfield 2-Piece Bathroom Accessory Set
Signature Hardware
Round White Porcelain Toilet Brush Holder
TheBathOutlet
Timpson 4-Piece Bathroom Accessory Set
Signature Hardware