Depigmentation of lips and nose - Meghane?

prairie_loveJuly 15, 2010

Does Meghane or anyone else have ideas why my girl might be experiencing depigmentation of her lips and nose (photos below)? For background, she is almost 10 years old, has a history of hypothyrodism (but checkups indicate it is well controlled), has early stage kidney disease (again, well controlled), but is otherwise healthy. DH remembers that she had one spot like this last summer (and I think he's right), so maybe it is related to heat, but this is more extensive than before. I am planning to take her in for a checkup but wanted to see if anyone had experience with this first.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

There is a condition called contact depigmentation and it can be transitory. Does he by any chance eat or drink from a plastic or rubber bowl ......have plastic or rubber toys?

There is also a condition called vitiligo in humans, and I'm sure it can happen in dogs too. Link below to plastic nasal dish dermititis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog pigmentation problems

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 2:53AM
cynthia_gw

Google Discoid Lupus. (Not SLE). It usually starts with loss of pigmentation on the nose and face and if it's minimal vitamin E supplements can help.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 8:17PM
prairie_love

Calliope - we do not use plastic or rubber bowls...or toys as the Princess demands only soft squishy stuffed toys...

I have looked at vitiligo, looks similar but not the same. I also googled, can't find anything that really looks the same to me.

cynthia - I saw this one too - all the images I find by google look MUCH more extensive than what we have so I don't know if this is not it or if she might be in the very early stages.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas. I guess we'll be heading it to get it checked out to be sure it's not serious.

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 9:05AM
Meghane

Probably not serious. Lupus is generally symmetrical. Probably not worse than UV damage.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:22PM
prairie_love

Thank you everyone. We will watch. If it gets worse or seems inflamed or gives us other reason to become more concerned, we'll go see the vet. Otherwise, I think we'll just wait till our next visit and ask then.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
Dog training human.....
I am an intermittent dog trainer. I worked hard at...
agmss15
Can I help a wild rabbit in my yard?
I live in Western NY state and I was shocked to see...
rochesterroseman
special food for cat's renal failure?
My 15 yr old male cat Jagra has now got kidney problems...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™