Can a sump pump be used to drain a laundry sink?

arley_gwMarch 19, 2011

Greetings:

I have a cellar which has a pit where a boiler used to be; at the bottom of that pit is a sump pump. It doesn't accumulate much water except in heavy rains. I replaced the pump about 2 years ago.

I'm thinking about putting in a laundry sink in the cellar. (There's a floor over the boiler pit.) Now the sink would see very little use, and the easiest way to drain it would be to run a length of drain pipe toward the sump pit, allowing the pump to take care of that drainage.

Or would it be better to have a separate pump for the sink? Is the only downside of using the sump pump to handle the sink's drainage is that it might shorten the life of the pump a bit?

If it's better to have a separate pump, anybody have any recommendations as to brands and models of pumps? This will be pumping wash water only, no sewage.

TIA for any comments and guidance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The sink needs a sealed crock and a sewage ejection pump. even if it is only serving a sink.

Sump pumps do not last long in this application unless the water is completely clean (no dirt, lint, trash, etc.)

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 10:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arley_gw

Thanks for the info.

I kinda figured that if it was an easy solution it wouldn't be right. Okay, looks like I have to start shopping.

Would the item at the link be satisfactory?

Here is a link that might be useful: saniflo pump

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
roysterfam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™