Temporary Basement Shower in Preparation for Full Bath Renovation

btointheetoMarch 17, 2013

Hello,

I've been reading these forums for a long time and I've finally joined after buying a house last August.

I am in the very early stages of planning for a renovation of my full bath on the second floor. To allow myself to take my time doing the work, I plan on setting up a temporary shower in the basement. Before anyone asks, yes I will obtain permits for any work I do, so you need not worry about that.

My question has two parts. First, I am curious to know if there are any questionable plumbing practices shown in the attached picture. Based on some screwy electrical things I've found, I wouldn't be surprised. So please take a close look and comment on what you see.

Please note that the vent in the top picture turns 90 degrees at the basement ceiling, crosses the basement, and connects to the stack in the middle and bottom pictures where I have indicated. Seems interesting, but I would like your thoughts.

Also, whoever added the half bath off the kitchen seems to have brought the vent shown down to the basement to connect to the existing vent. Is this okay?

The second question is this: what would be the best way to drain/vent a shower into the existing plumbing? I would like to use a Saniflo Sanishower or equivalent product to avoid any concrete smashing.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any clarification. I look forward to your input and, as I get more involved in this forum, your personal attacks. :)

Thank you,

Joe P.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
btointheeto

FYI, I live in Erie, PA where we follow the 2003 International Plumbing Code, according to Erie's Uniform Construction Code.

Here is a link that might be useful: City of Erie Uniform Construction Code

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 1:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

You may want to ask your question on the Terry Love forums - they have several plumbers over there that have the expertise to give you correct answers. We are bereft of plumbers over here.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush -- Need reviews
Any more reviews on the dual flush Water Ridge toilet?...
smudgecat99
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
what brand water softener
have 2400 sq ft rancher on town water. do not have...
questionoftheday
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™