Death by chewing gum - canine owners take note

mazer415July 24, 2010

There is an ingredient in chewing gum that is deadly to dogs, it is called xylitol - if you found your dog has chewed any gum with this ingredient get it to the vets immediately. Some dogs are attracted to chewing gum because it smells sweet...

We had a case locally where a pomeranian had gotten ahold of some wrapped gum and was chewing on it. The owner did not think anything of it, but got on the internet to research the ingredients and ended up rushing his dog to the emergency vets - it was on our local news....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

To the best of my knowledge, xylitol is found in sugar-free products and not only gum, but many medications and some candies. Thanks for the heads up.

    Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 10:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Meghane

True, xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many products. It is deadly to dogs and cats. Probably not so good for people either, IMHO. No proof there though...

    Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 8:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

LOL Meghane, my thoughts exactly. When my dentist recommended artificial sweeteners to me, he got an ear-full.

    Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 4:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetchastity

I was thinking the same thing. The stuff is deadly to cats and dogs but its ok for us to eat it? Honestly I think sugar and fat get a bad rap. I think its better to enjoy the real thing in moderation rather than indulge often in processed/preserved substitutes. I read that sugarless pop has the same affect on your blood sugar as regular pop. The body responds the same and my family has a history of diabetes so I pay attention as I'm at risk.

Funny/gross story, an online friend loved Pringles chips so when the fat-free/low-fat version came out he ate a full can each day for four days. On the fourth day he felt gassy but realized it wasn't gas. Not to get into tasteless details but he ended up having an hour long shower/bath to get cleaned up.

    Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 5:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krycek1984

LOL

    Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 8:03PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
God & swee' pea got together and sent me this...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Ninapearl/Olivia_zpsqx3k9bjt.jpg this...
Ninapearl
How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
I got a really nice clean looking orthopedic pet bed...
peabody1
dry food for cats that can't eat dry food ;)
Howdy all, There seems to be a lot of experience here...
GWgal
Need recommendation for an easy grip leash
I've seen several when google searching the subject,...
arkansas_girl
I'm new!
Hi every body ! My name adi i am going to buy a dog...
adi003
Sponsored Products
Windster 36W in. WS-69TS Series Insert Range Hood - WS-69TS36
$667.00 | Hayneedle
Sea Gull Lighting Ceiling Mounted Lighting Eternity 2-Light Brushed Nickel
Home Depot
Laura Lee Fleur De Lis 3-Light 26" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Karina Console - gold/marble
$1,599.00 | Horchow
Trump New York Antique Pewter Five-Light Chandelier
$518.00 | Bellacor
'Even Miracles Take a Little Time' Dictionary Print
$11.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™