schwan's home delivery

compumomDecember 24, 2011

They are IDIOTS!!! I have to vent--

Their database is ridiculous and their customer service people don't have the authority or competence to override it.

So much for sending my 85 year old aunt a gift package for the holidays. I've wasted close to an hour over a few days trying to place an order online, then by phone, then receiving an emailed confirmation that had the wrong name, then told that they can't personally deliver it and I was undercharged, must deliver by USPS, then being told they are out of the one chicken dish that sounded attractive and wasn't packed with sodium! SHEESH!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

I think I tried to use them once and ran into some of those same issues. It just wasn't user friendly.

Safeway delivers groceries as do some other markets. I use Safeway often.

Bookmark   December 24, 2011 at 1:57PM
lindac

I bought a few things from them for a while....I knew the delivery man...
But when I ordered boneless chicken breast strips and they came with each piece of chicken nesteled in it's own plastic packaging...like....maybe a package of Christmas balls....I told them don't stop any more!!

Bookmark   December 24, 2011 at 2:55PM
compumom

Unfortunately Pittsburgh has Food Giant and no other grocery chains! So if anyone on the CF lives in Pittsburgh or knows of other suggestions for prepared food deliveries, please let me know.

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 4:06AM
sushipup1

Compumom, I'll ask Jim's cousin what company their Uncle Jim used for frozen food delivery. I see a number of companies when I google gourmet from food delivery, so there must be a better alternative to Schwan's.

Magic Kitchen looked good.

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 10:47AM
sushipup1

Sally says "Home Bistro". Said that the food was great and deliveries, billing, etc, went well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Bistro

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 11:37AM
pkramer60

Ellen, now you know why I don't order food stuffs by mail.

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 12:33PM
centralcacyclist

What about Omaha Steaks? They have complete meals and other things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Omaha Steaks

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 12:49PM
compumom

Helene, thanks for coming through with another viable option. It looks quite interesting and geared towards no real prep for the recipient. I like that! I'll be giving them a call for more info tomorrow.
Happy Holidays!

Eileen, I'm looking for more complete meals and after the recent reviews of Omaha, I'm not very excited with their offerings. My aunt is/was an excellent cook. A steak she can buy and cook on her own. I was hoping for something delicious to tempt her away from broiling a steak or falling back and eating cottage cheese & fruit.

Bookmark   December 26, 2011 at 1:03PM
triciae

When I was working full time, we purchased from Horizon Foods for years. They deliver right to the door. Excellent quality. Everything is individually packaged so no waste. Excellent quality. Nice variety. Great service. They even loaded directly in my freezer.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Foods

Bookmark   December 26, 2011 at 1:45PM
centralcacyclist

I don't know anything about Omaha. They have been around for a along time and I assume they must have the service and delivery issues figured out. I have never read any reviews. I do see that they have complete meals and chicken entrees, etc.

Bookmark   December 26, 2011 at 3:07PM
compumom

Oops, the local supermarket chain is called Giant Eagle.

Bookmark   December 28, 2011 at 7:53PM
klseiverd

Never ordered from Schwans, so can't really comment on them.

Remember Dad ordering steaks from Omaha Steaks... came in nice cooler with dry ice... he was pleased and he was a BIG steak guy. A little OT, but he was a very smart man and made the mistake of telling his 3 kids (all late teens to adults at the time) that he put the dry ice in freezer to "save" and it disappeared!?! Did we laugh at him? Of COURSE we did!

I've never ordered by phone or online from OS... have a store not too far for the RARE occasion when I have a great coupon. I like their filet mignon... nice size, vac sealed, and nice flavor. LOVE their "steak-burgers". Anything else that omes in one of their combo packs... stuffed fish, chicken, pork chops... just SOSO... imo!

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™