What is this?

2ajsmamaMarch 8, 2010

We built a new house, moved in about 2.5 yrs ago. I have rust stains in the toilets, so figured it was iron in our water that kept making a stain dripping from tub overflow. Finally removed the plate to clean under, since I started noticing rust "scale" under edge of the cover. WHAT is this (steel?) plate on the bottom edge of the hole for? Looks like there is a black rubber seal on the bottom edge under it, b/t it and the pipe, though not b/t it and the acrylic tub. It's screwed into the pipe, can I remove this and just screw the cover directly into the pipe? Do I need to put a gasket under the cover? We have iron in the water, but I believe most of the problem here is due to this plate corroding (and black gunk collecting under as well as rust - yuck!). Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oops, sorry didn't post picture (typed post while waiting for Photobucket then forgot to go back there).

    Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 10:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

tub overflow? I think if you remove this plate, the pipe will fall back in the wall. The plate should have been stainless.

    Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 4:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Remove the plate, it's a keeper during construction while the tub is set. Once overflow is assembled and attached to trap it wont move enough to lose it

    Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 4:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It looks like the flange does not cover the opening in the wall of the tub. If not, with or without the plate, overflow water will go into the wall cavity instead of down the drain. The drain flange must have a watertight seal to the back of the tub wall opening.

    Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 7:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I thought the whole purpose of the cover plate was to pull the gasket tight against the drain. I found a diagram on another plumbing forum, says this piece may not be used with all makes and models. Delta website doesn't have it (seems to use a wire and pair of screws instead) on any of their tub wastes. We have all Delta faucets, but have no idea what the wastes are. No manufacturer ID on the back on the cover plate. The modular factory just used whatever they could get cheap I guess. So, what is this piece called so I can look for it in stainless?

    Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 8:39PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™