What is that smell?

doglillyMarch 31, 2014

My sister had a smell coming from what she thought was her dishwasher. Eventually, after removing a piece of drywall, she realized it was the pipes in the wall behind the dishwasher. Below this wall is her laundry room. Does anyone know why these pipes would be smelly? And how to get rid of it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

Most likely the pipes have a loose coupling if they're plastic, or a nail or screw has penetrated one of them.

If it's cast iron pipe, the wall of one may have corroded away.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 1:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cold_weather_is_evil

A dishwasher setup can be extremely nasty. If you have a small leak, perhaps from an aged coupling or clamp, or from one of those ungodly cheap corrugated drain lines, it could build and build for a long time.

There's no way a pipe can be smelly unless something is growing on it or dripping down it. What are these pipes? Water supply? Electrical conduit? Waste? Plumbing vent? Dryer vent? Were these smelly pipes examined while the dishwasher was running a cycle, or the clothes washer?

A pipe won't smell bad by itself. The solution is at least one step further away than the stinky pipe. Is there mildew inside the wall? Does she have a dead critter?

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 1:44AM
More Discussions
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
rss1978
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
tucker_troy
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Water softener decision for Austin, Texas city water
I want to better protect my plumbing from wear and...
ivaniphone
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™