Meghane, need food recommendation, please

laurief_gwJuly 10, 2010

Hi Meg,

I am trying to find a source for a homemade diet for a cat with a history of calcium oxalate urinary stone formation. I seem to remember you posting a link some time back to a veterinary nutritionist who creates such custom diets. Did you post a link like that, or have I gotten you confused with someone else? If you do know of a source for custom veterinary diets, would you please post the link again?

The cat in question belongs to a friend whose vet has recommended C/D kibble (which I always thought was formulated to discourage struvite formation, not oxalate). This cat is apparently a very stubborn kibblehead who refuses any canned foods, but we're hoping he might be willing to convert to a homemade diet. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a more species-inappropriate ingredient list than that of C/D kibble, so the idea of feeding that to this cat seems counterproductive, to say the least.

Anyway, if you can provide any guidance to point us in the direction of a suitable homemade diet for this boy, it would be much appreciated.

Laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Meghane

Hi Laurie,
The site you are looking for is BalanceIt.com. You will need to have the vet order the diet since it will be for a specific medical problem. It is run by veterinary nutritionists from UC Davis Vet School.

C/D is now designed for both struvite and oxalate stones. It works on a different concept than pH like the old C/D, but I can't really describe it well without the actual literature in front of me. One of those things I grasp better than I can explain. I can get back to you on that.

I agree with you on the science diet thing. I've only ever prescribed 2 of their diets- l/d for a couple dogs in liver failure, and s/d for a couple dogs with struvite stones (to dissolve them, not prevent them). Never actually suggested any science diet to a cat for any reason. Weird, eh?

I hope your cat is doing well and takes to your hard work in the kitchen.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 8:32PM
laurief_gw

Hi Meg,

Thank you so much for your response. I thought BalanceIt might be the one you had used in the past, but I just wasn't certain. I'll have my friend look into it now.

I am glad to know that my memory isn't completely shot. I was certain that C/D was formulated exclusively for struvite management, which apparently used to be the case with the old formula. I would very much appreciate any further explanation you may be able to provide regarding the mechanism by which the current C/D formulation is effective at preventing oxalate formation.

Again, I appreciate your insights and information. There's not much out there in the way of dietary recommendations for oxalate stones other than Hill's C/D or the Royal Canin equivalent, and there MUST be something better that can get the same job done.

Laurie

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 11:23AM
Meghane

I'll look it up tomorrow. I took most of my books to work and now I'm home, finally (don't ask).

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 9:28PM
Meghane

Haven't forgotten you Laurie, just got caught up in a few difficult cases including euthanizing one of my favorite patients. Will get on this though!

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
Dog training human.....
I am an intermittent dog trainer. I worked hard at...
agmss15
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Suddenly lost use of rear legs.
My 6 year old Golden suddenly lost use of his rear...
jgatty
swee' Pea got her angel wings yesterday
I lost my sweet dane girl to liver failure. It was...
Ninapearl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™