Finding PVC drainage pipe underground?

thecause16March 16, 2008

I've run into a problem with a pipe. The PVC pipe that water runoff from my roof on one side of the house drains into, is not flowing properly. Before I bought this house, some of the lot had settled in the back which I suspect has caused this problem. It flows, but is very slow, slow enough under heavy rain to cause a backup in the pipe. This pipe also runs underground under my concrete driveway immediately after it enters the ground. From that point onward, I don't know where it goes. I first assumed it went straight back, just judging by the first elbow as it went underground. I was proven wrong after finding the other end up the pipe today approximately 25 feet to one side of where I suspected it exited the ground. This means it enters the ground goes straight back for some distance, then angles to the right, and straightens back out again.

All I want to do is find the pipe in front of the break, and completely run new pipe from that point on.

Anyone have any good methods for locating such a pipe? Ive heard about acoustic methods, but it seems a little far fetched. My only other option is to dig up the entire perimeter of the driveway until I find it, but even then I do not know how deep it will be at any given time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sniffdog

they make a device that you may be able to rent that is a snake with a transmitter on it. you run the snake through the pipe and then use a hand held receiver with a wond to locate the pipe.

i had a plumber use this to locate a water main that i needed to find in my yard. he ran the snake from the inside of the house under the slab all the way to the outside (about a 40 foot run) until it stopped. he then went into the yard and used the receiver to locate the signal. i dug down 3 feet and there it was! i think it cost me 100 dollars to have plumber come out and do this - and it saved me a ton of work.

if you can't rent one, call some plumbers and ask if they have this type of locating device. from your description, it doesn't sound like it would take that long to map out where your drain pipes are.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 7:41AM
thecause16

No, it wouldn't take long. I only need to figure out where it is just on the other side of the driveway, where from that point on I plan on running new anyway. I'll look into that, thanks.

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 12:48AM
Craven7408_aol_com

Before I purchased the property, the neighbor filled in the drainage ditch and installed some small drain pipes. How can I find the location and the depth of these pipes, because I am being over run with water during a heavy rain.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 5:01AM
More Discussions
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Culligan vs. Kinetico for very hard water
We just moved into a 3 year old house. The previous...
kate_ca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™