Desperately Need First Floor Layout Help!
Hello KDs and other design experts...
we are planning a kitchen renovation which will include opening up the small kitchen however we are re-thinking our whole first floor layout.
What doesn't work for us:
1. The choppy left side of the first floor (DR/Office, all the doors)
2. The DR too far from the kitchen which results in under use (2 dinners a year in that room maximum)
3. Because DR is so far from kitchen we eat 99% of meals in Breakfast room.
4. Office is seldom used now that we both are on laptops and work wherever the kids are. So it's basically turning into a storage room for electronics.
5. No eat in options in existing kitchen. Would love an island or breakfast bar.
What works for us:
1. Location of the kitchen. I prep overlooking the back yard which is great for watching kids. I wash dishes looking out into the neighbors pretty back yard. I honestly have no qualms about the kitchen except for the feeling of being closed in and no eat-in options.
2. Big Living Room.
3. Location of 1st flr bath. Even though we don't need a 1st floor shower (it was there when we moved in, its an old house) our guests have occasionally used it. But location is nice that its tucked away from any one particular room.
What I'm tending towards, but don't know if its the BEST use of first floor layout:
- Gutting left side of house, making it all one big room.
- Swapping DR and LR essentially making DR off of kitchen.
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? Thank you in advance.