Make potassium softened water taste better

pumpkineater59February 23, 2012

About a year ago I installed a water softener after getting lots of god advice here. Since then the whole family is happy about the softer water and calcium deposits getting removed. Thanks for all the help.

However, DW and kids thinks the water tastes funny. I can agree that there is a small difference after the potassium water softener was installed, though I don't have a problem with the taste. To please the rest of the family, what can I do to improve the taste? Our goal is to improve the water taste and not for health reasons.

Can a filter help or is reverse osmosis the only option?

Thanks.

/Peter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

Some people have more discriminating palettes than others. Softened water will taste different than hard water due to the sodium or potassium ions exchanged in the softening process. The higher the hardness the more sodium or potassium is exchanged into the hard water to soften it and the more the taste is effected.

Many people install RO units under the kitchen sink for drinking and cooking water and many also plumb the RO to provide water to the fridge for ice cubes or the water in the door if you have that feature.

Some people install a "taste" (carbon) filter under the sink and are happy with that. This type of filter will make the water taster better(?) or different.

Looking back at your softener sizing thread and your water conditions... PH is a little high and iron and manganese. High PH will effect taste. Have you been using Iron Out or a similar product? IMO an RO is a better choice than a filter.

Have you been checking to see that the water holds 0 hardness all the way to regeneration?

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 11:07PM
pumpkineater59

I have not rechecked the hardness of the water. We are happy with the result so far (without checking actual numbers). The scaling is gone, which was the main reason for the softener.

We have not used Iron Out or any other products.

In case we go the filter route, are there any preferred filters? Same question for the RO route. Any preferred ROs? I believe I've read older threads that talks favorably of the Watts RO. is that still a good choice.
Thanks.

/Peter

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 8:58PM
justalurker

Watts Premier ROs are good bang for the buck and they are carried by Costco and Sam's Club at good prices. They make under sink filters too.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Undermount sink edge intrudes on cut-out for faucet
15 years ago my kitchen was totally renovated by a...
Andee
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
tucker_troy
Sponsored Products
Soprano Duvet
$260.00 | FRONTGATE
Green Matters Ceiling Mounted Lighting 2-Light Flush-Mount Brushed Nickel
$49.99 | Home Depot
Copalto Grantie Vessel Sink
maestrobath
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Outdoor Antique Bronze Lantern with Frosted S
$45.99 | Home Depot
Olde Bronze Chandelier 9-Light
PLFixtures
Large Round Cinnamon Faux Leather Storage Ottoman
$79.99 | zulily
Hopson Corner Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Siena Wineglass - Set of Four
$11.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™