flushometer toilet vs. tank

kareenaFebruary 25, 2010

Pre-war apt in NYC (1929). Thought I needed to replace flushometer toilet with same. Tonight, just found out that I can use a tank - others have done it. Are there any negatives to doing this? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suburbanmd

Tank mechanism (float, flush handle, flapper) is more finicky than flushometer, in my experience. What's the advantage of replacing with a tank?

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 4:30PM
kareena

advantage for me would be mostly appearance. But I don't like finicky!

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 11:06PM
randy427

To refit to a tank-type, you'll probably have to open the wall to move and reconfigure the water supply line.
With good water flow and pressure, the flushometer toilet does a more effective job of flushing. (JMHO)

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 1:21PM
kareena

followup on this - it's time for me to order the toilet. I see that TOTO, Kohler, American Standard and Gerber all sell these flushometer toilets. Is any one better than the other?

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 6:00PM
tomgazer

I would definitely go with the flushometer and in my opinion they look better. I would like to purchase your broken flushometer, what is wrong with it?

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 5:18PM
terry_love

If you are in NYC, first measure the rough-in.
Most of the Flushometer toilets in New York City are on a 10" rough.

If what you have is 10", then you can't just go out and buy any toilet.
There are very few that will fit with only 10"

In a basic toilet, you could use a Cadet 3 with 10" tank.
Or if you want something nicer, you could look into TOTO, which makes several models that convert with a Unifit.
Only some of their models convert, and the adapter only works with Toto.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:34PM
lazypup

I don't understand why you would want to change to a tank type. A Flushometer can be completely rebuilt in under 10 minutes for a mere fraction of the cost of buying a new toilet, and in the end, the flushometer is far more rugged and reliable than any tank type made.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 12:12AM
makolern_yahoo_com

I have a similar issue in my coop in Westchester County NYS. The problem with flushometer toilets is that tenants do not maintain them and when the heads blow from wear, all the apartments under them get flooded big-time. The thinking is that tank toilets would not preent the same problem in that once the flusometer valve blows the full force of the all the water in that main is dumping into that bathroom until someone sees it and gets the superintendent to shut it off. With the tank toilets I have had in houses I have owned the water line to the tank is very small in diameter and even if the ball or valve doesn't seal well, the amount of water leaking is relatively minor.

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™