installing a 3/4" RPZ on a washing-machine line

talley_sue_nycFebruary 23, 2014

I live in a 10-unit cooperative apt. bldg in NYC; we are self-managed, and every apartment has a director on the board.

There was a recent requirement by NYC to install backflow inhibitors on buildings our size. We were able to get a double check valve (DCV) instead of the more elaborate & expensive RPZ (reduced pressure zone) device.

One of the issues that has come up is whether you have coin-op washing machines, and how many, etc., etc., and one of the possible solutions is to install separate 3/4" RPZ (reduced pressure zone) devices on the washing machine's water line itself.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to install those, and how convoluted it is?

On Amazon.com, I saw 3/4" rpz's for $50, and $170, and $270. I don't know which are appropriate for a single washing machine, and I don't know how much it would cost to install.
Does anybody have any ballpark guesses?

And the building-rated RPZ would have involved building some sort of drain, since the RPZ sends the excess backflowing water out of the device and into a drain.
Do the little ones need that draining capacity? How hard is it to install? Of course there is a drain line nearby, since it would go on the water line close to the machine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DreamingoftheUP

Can't speak for NY, but in Illinois, RPZs must be tested and certified yearly by a trained-certified-and-licensed-to-test-and-certify-RPZs plumber. Seems to be something to avoid unless required by code.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:52AM
talley_sue_nyc

Wow. Even a small one on a single-unit line? (not a building-wide one)
What about the ones that are in the washing machine? The commercial-grade machines we currently rent have an internal RPZ.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 2:05PM
DreamingoftheUP

Can't say. You'd be best to call in a plumber for a quote. He would know what the code requires. My basic understanding for Illinois is that they are required for irrigation systems, fire sprinkler systems and boilers above a certain size. My town required an RPZ installation on my lawn sprinkler system a few years back. I've got hot water heat (single family home) and no requirement for RPZ - yet - but the town did send out a mandatory survey with the water bill where you had to indicate if you had a boiler, so it's probably coming in the near future.

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:10

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™