My kitchen is on Houzz!

youngdebMarch 16, 2013

Many of you gave me great advice over the course of this project...thought you might find it cool that it made it onto that website!

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8192302/list/Kitchen-of-the-Week--Practical--Budget-Friendly-Beauty-in-Dallas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tmy_jax

Cool! Congrats!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:17AM
kitchendetective

Great ideas. The reflective surfaces expand the space. I have read about the JennAir glass surfaces, but I haven't seen them used before. Good job!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:21AM
Linelle

Good job Deb!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:27AM
robo (z6a)

Love that rotating bar! What a clever idea. Do you get much use out of it in practice?

Would you recommend against white cabinets based on your experience? Love the wood in your house.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:48AM
youngdeb

We use that bar every day. I wouldn't do lower white cabinets again, honestly. Uppers get less dirty at our house.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:43AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I love that pivot bar top! What a great innovation!

Congrats on making it to houzz!!

Suzi

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:44PM
a2gemini

Wow! I love your pivot bar and it would have been perfect in our kitchen! Too late now but maybe next time!
Love your colors and impressed with your budget!
Thank you for sharing :-)

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:57PM
flwrs_n_co

Congratulations! I love MCM design. May I ask why you didn't flip the location of the fridge with the adjoining bar area to give you more room by the cooktop? Cost, layout/structural constraints, or this way just works well for you? Just wondering. Love your kitchen--that BS combined with the lyptus really make the whole kitchen pop!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 1:00PM
lori_inthenw_gw

That is a wonderful space. It looks very "today" but I don't think it will ever scream 2013, because it is not a clone of a magazine layout. The rotating bar counter is ingenious-- I liked it a lot even before I knew it was movable, as an example of what could be done with a low kitchen window when you still really wanted to use the space. I love the color palette, too-- I would never tire of it. Great job! (minor question, but what pulls are those?)

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 1:47PM
youngdeb

We didn't move the fridge because we didn't move anything! We have plenty of room on either side of the cooktop, but the "barrier island" is a huge bummer. If I had spent another 30 grand or so we would have completely reconfigured the room. The fridge would have moved to the pantry spot, the cooktop to the wall adjacent to the sink, the ovens would have been stacked on the wall they're on....etc. But we didn't want the interruption to our lives and we didn't want to spend the money.

I can't remember the pulls, sorry. They're pretty easy to source - I found similar on lots of websites.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 2:36PM
ginny20

How exciting! Congratulations on getting on Houzz. It's a great kitchen.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 3:21PM
cat_mom

Congrats!!!!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 3:44PM
steph2000

It looks great! They did a wonderful piece on it. I just love that swiveling counter.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 4:04PM
michoumonster

congrats! your kitchen is one of my inspirations. it is so fresh and has so many unique elements!

a questions for you, i also did the same quartzite for my counters and am trying to figure out backsplash tile now. my counters seem to have a greenish/grey tint, so I am wondering if yours is similar? Is your fireclay tile blue or blue/green colored?

This post was edited by michoumonster on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 16:47

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 4:45PM
flwrs_n_co

I have a barrier island, too--I feel your pain. You did a great job of updating. Enjoy!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 5:42PM
youngdeb

Michou, ours have a lot of gray in them as well but lean towards blue undertones, not green. We waffled between fireclay Crater Lake (which we used) and Kiwi. I think either would have looked good, honestly. It's a pretty clear blue, not much green. Slightly grayed down.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 6:15PM
oldbat2be

Hooray!!! I'm so happy for you:) I tell you, every time I look at your kitchen, the tile you picked makes me smile. The color is so perfect for your space.

Now have to ask - how does one get on Houzz? I'd love to hear the story. Best, oldbat2be

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 8:01PM
Jfay

Oh, Yes. I remember that kitchen. It's still as lovely as ever.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 8:34PM
vsalz

Love your kitchen. Saw that you are in Lakewood. We are in slc now, but our very first kitchen Reno was 10 years ago in Hollywood Heights. We have done 4 more since then. Our house went on the market last month for 3 whole days (presume sold). The pictures on movoto showed the only thing they didn't change was my kitchen-not one bit!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:45PM
sanjuangirl

So exciting for you! Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen being recognized! Super cool!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:00PM
ontariomom

Wow, your back splash and bar is stunning. Would you mind explaining more about the kitchen faucet that avoids wet hands dripping on counter.

Carol

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:02PM
youngdeb

oldbat, I just posted pictures of the kitchen and they emailed me and asked if they could feature it. I was so flattered...

OntarioMom, that's an idea that I got from here actually. Several people here have done it. Instead of facing the controls to the side of the faucet, you face them toward the front of the sink. I don't think all faucets can face any way, you have to make sure they can work that way. It's been great for us...I love it.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:41PM
pbx2_gw

Fabulous design & execution & tremendous recognition OP!
Congrats.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 1:29AM
oldbat2be

Thanks youngdeb. Very interesting to know. If I ever get the pantry and sink wall finished, I might try that too.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:39AM
rebeccamomof123

Awesome!!! And that backsplash is AMAZING, btw!

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:15AM
localeater

Your not only on Houzz, you just showed up in my inbox as "Kitchen of the Week". How exciting for you. You deserve it your kitchen is cool.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:25AM
ontariomom

Youngdeb,

Thanks for the clarification on the faucet and avoiding drips. I see that the lever is on the side but the cylinder shaded controls face into the sink. I will try for the same set up. Thanks for the tip.

Carol

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:34AM
cardamon

Congratulations. I saw your GW kitchen on Houzz-looks fantastic!

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Help with kitchen layout - main issue is where to put the ovens
I need to finalize my kitchen design so all feedback/suggestions...
keagle
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Sponsored Products
Fire Magic 32814 Built-In Echelon Diamond Double Side Burner - 32814
$979.20 | Hayneedle
Kichler Lytham Brushed Nickel Satin Glass Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Cambridge Black Wrinkle 30-inch Swivel Counter Stool with Natural Oak Seat
Overstock.com
Liberty Barrett Lakes Server & Hutch In Washed Nutmeg
Beyond Stores
Chanel Coral Ebony Dining Chair
bryght.com