Recommendation on buying or fixing Water Heater

titi3000February 6, 2011

I have posted ealier to ask for help about Water Heater does not working. The water pipe was broken due to frozen, after the Water Heater stopped working.I called the repairman(the one to fixed the broken pipe)come to look at my Water Heater. After checking my Water Heater, he said that the "Gas Burner Control" has stopped working, if replacing he wil charge $200(included parts i guess) but he recommended me changed the whole Water Heater because it's old and it will broke soon(I looked at the Water heater and see that it's 8 year-old and out of warranty, warranty is only 6 years) and the total cost is about $800. Please give me some advices which one i'm going to choose. $800 is too much for me at this time, but $200 then for a year (or less) later, the Water Heater will broke too so I have to replace whole thing again. PLease help me to make these choice. The brand of my Water Heater is "EnviroTemp".

Thank you very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

If the warranty on your water heater is six years and it's eight years old now, your water heater is on borrowed time -- especially if you haven't done any maintenance (like draining it of sediment once a year). You could spend $200 to fix it now and it could break down some other way next month. Then the problem will be that you have no hot water and you won't have a lot of time to shop around.

It would not hurt to have a couple of other companies give you bids on a new water heater. You may find you can get it done for much less than $800. Or, if the price is too high to pay all at once, ask if you can pay it off over a few months.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 9:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Replace it.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
motherwallace
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
rss1978
Question about installing a back water valve in basement.
I want to install a back water valve in my house, but...
service1956
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Tercet 5 ft. Whirlpool Bath Tub in Sandbar Sandbars
Home Depot
Dyna-Glo Deluxe RMC-FA125DGD Portable Gas Powered Forced Air Heater Multicolor -
$208.76 | Hayneedle
Hudson Reed Radiant Straight Plug In Heated Towel Rail 32 x 24
Hudson Reed
Optimus Portable Oscillating Ceramic Heater with Thermostat
Overstock.com
Crane Frog Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - EE-3191
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Crosley Patio Heater
Grandin Road
Well Traveled Living Stainless Steel Telescopic Commercial Patio Heater
Beyond Stores
Revive Anthracite Vertical Designer Radiator Heater 63 x 14 & Valves