How can you get a kitty to accept their collar?

phish_gwJuly 12, 2011

I am trying to get my kitty to accept wearing a collar with a tag, and so far not good. Does anyone have any tricks that will work to trick him into accepting his new collar?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mazer415

Just put it on...make certain it is not too tight or too loose. Can I ask why you are wanting a collar on your cat?

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 2:34PM
Cassandra

Even if the cat is an indoor cat and is microchipped, it is good to get it used to a collar as well. My cats wear them on trips to the vet and occasionally I'll attach a leash and take them outside with me. I still have the faint outlines of a long scar on my arm from the first time I put a collar on my cat Basil. He freaked! The second time I tried I was far more cautious. I put it on when he was purring and half asleep on my lap. I left it on and he got used to it immediately. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 4:54PM
phish_gw

they are not outdoor cats. They find a way to escape, they just do. I've known 3 seperate people with VERY close calls whos cat got out, collarless, and they almost lost them forever. I tried a collar and tag with my kitty and he didn't like it. I then switched to collar first without tag and that's going OK so far.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:17AM
kittens

He'll be used to it in no time at all. Is he chipped? That would help if he escaped. I don't collar my cats because they are very active and I'm afraid they'll hang themselves. I tried the break-away collar on my outdoor kitty a couple of times but she broke away from it by the time she came home each day :) Can you pin-point his escape route? There are a couple of products on the market which curb that behavior if you know how they escape. They have a motion activated air can that sprays air at the cat when he passes a no-no zone. It's supposed to scare the daylights out of them so they learn very quickly. I'm not a big fan of it but they also sell a "Scat Mat" that zaps them with a jolt when they step on it in the doorway. I tested one and it didn't hurt, it just startled me. If I had a real issue with an escapee cat I might give one a try. The can is nice because you can just leave it sitting out and that's enough once they figure out it blasts them.

Here is a link that might be useful: SSSCAT Air sprayer.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:31PM
gibby2015

I was wondering too why you'd put a collar on a cat. I rescued a stray once who had a collar on. He'd actually gotten his front leg through the collar and lived with it like that for quite some time. By the time I found him he had a huge, gangrenous gaping wound across his chest from this collar, weighed less than four pounds (a large framed, adult cat) and was nearly dead. I took him to the vet who wasn't sure if he could be saved but with a couple surgeries he pulled through and lived to be about 19. As a result I'd never put a collar on a cat.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Can I help a wild rabbit in my yard?
I live in Western NY state and I was shocked to see...
rochesterroseman
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?
I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something...
pickyshopper
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™