Tea Tree Oil

shakushinnenJuly 31, 2009

Hi,

I have a Jack Russel Terrier. When I walk him in the woods he stops every so often and bites at his feet. I think that the little red ants are getting between his toes and biting him. He won't wear the booties.

When I was in the Pet Shop they were selling this Tea Tree Oil. Apparently it's an insecticide. I was wondering about putting it on his paws when he goes into the woods. Has anyone had any experience with this stuff, or have a better suggestion?

Thanks,

...... john

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izzie

Is is straight tea tree oil or a diluted version (mixed with other stuff) of it? If it is straight it may be too strong to put on. It has many uses, but it may also be toxic if ingested. It is often used as a "natural" antibiotic or anti fungal (nail fungus)topically, but not orally. If you do use if straight you may want to dilute it in something like olive oil, grapeseed oil, even a vegtable oil about 5-10 drops of tea tree oil to one tablespoon other oil.

I suggest to do some google searches on this stuff.

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 2:51PM
debbiep_gw

I just wanted to say I used it straight once on my basset for her skin allergies on her stomach,she gets a rash that itches,anyway that was a major mistake.Never again will I use it on a dog.It seemed to make her skin worse,red,inflamed.I had to give her a bath within a minute or so of putting it on her..

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 4:53PM
shakushinnen

Thanks Izzie/Debbie,
Well that does it. I'm not going to use something that might make a minor irritation a majour one. Any suggestion for what I might use? Hasn't anyone else run across this problem?
.... john

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 5:10PM
izzie

I did a google search tea tree oil dog paws. There were several mentions of a tea tree oil salves that are good to use. I have some at home that I am using to treat a fungal thing on my son, 5 drops to a TBS of jojoba oil.

Tea Tree oil was mentioned, but never straight.My dad used the stuff straight once (nail fungus) and actually got a chemical like burn.
It is commonly used in ointments but really shouldn't be used straight. If they sold this to you straight with no further instructions that person was wrong, wrong, wrong.
It probably would work to keep ant off, but mix with another oil. It is rather stinky
http://www.examiner.com/x-11162-Phoenix-Animal-Care-Examiner~y2009m6d24-How-to-treat-a-dogs-sore-paw

Here is a link that might be useful: tea tree oil

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 6:58PM
shakushinnen

Hi,
Thank you all for your help.
.. john

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
Cat much less active than a few months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what...
chi83
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™