2 doors or 4 doors on a 48" lower cabinet?

Kristen HallockMarch 15, 2013

I am having a 12" deep cabinet across the end of my island to hold cookbooks and such. It will be wide (48") but I've thought about it a ton and I am OK with it. I was going to keep it open shelves, without doors, but hubby wants glass doors so i have to give him that.

Now, I can get 2 24" doors or 4 12" doors...The 4 12" doors would be BUTT, which i guess means so styles between them.

I was going with 2 24" doors but I wanted to get opinions here. I thought 4 12" doors would be too busy. WDYT?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catbuilder

How about three doors?

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:41AM
Kristen Hallock

I don't think 3 was an option and I am not going with custom cabinets

This post was edited by khallock on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 11:08

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 11:03AM
may_flowers

How about compromising? ;) You could do two doors on the ends and open shelves in the middle. I did that with my peninsula. My shelves are also divided vertically into cubbies.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 11:06AM
Kristen Hallock

may_flowers - do you have a picture of that? I was thinking of that but then I could either go with a 24" cabinet in the middle with open shelves and 2 12" cabinets flanking it, or an 18" cab in the middle and 2 15" cabinets flanking it? I wasnt sure the small cabinets on the sides would really store much and I would lose some space.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 11:10AM
may_flowers

To give you some perspective, our peninsula cabinets are 18"W x 12"D. In one we store barware and wine glasses three deep, including a row of wider red wine glasses. In the other cabinet we store all our china. The display cubbies are each 16"W. Our wall end cabinet is 14" wide but the opening is only 9 1/2".

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 11:45AM
ci_lantro

I would choose the 2 - 24'' doors option. Will give you nice access to the cabinet.

I most definitely would not carve the space up with separate cabinets. Separate smaller cabinets will be more expensive AND you'll lose actual space (more cabinet sides) AND, the biggie is that the space remaining will be much less functional.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
knobs or pulls on cabinets - function vs. look
Hi all, We are still slowly inching along with our...
remodel-mama
Kitchen layout...make better use of current space and expand storage!
I'm hoping to get a few ideas on how to improve the...
rowan1099
Anyone have TCE4005 quartz counters (or any other carrara-lookalike)?
Hi there, I'm still in the process of trying to pick...
Melissa Silva
I Found Yer Problem, Lady
You can't screw 1/4" plate steel through plywood...
Joseph Corlett, LLC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™