roasted vegetable magic..and more

trailrunnerbikerDecember 10, 2012

I had a bunch of different root vegetables to use and got carried away :) I tossed the Rome apples, turnips. red bell peppers and butternut squash with EVOO and salt. Roasted at 425 till caramelized...took 30 for all but the squash which took 50 on convection roast. Divided in half and made 2 different soups. One more savory..had celery and coriander and thyme and served with grated aged cheddar. The other was a curry , use Alton Brown's recipe for curry powder and left out the celery and added a Roma tomato. Used water for the first...never use stock in a vegetable soup as it masks the flavors of the ingredients and used a combo of coconut milk and apple juice for the second.

The neat thing was getting so much from so little and taking it in 2 different directions. DH grated the beets and carrots and made a lovely orange vinaigrette to go on the slaw. It is even better the next day...served with toasted almonds, arugala and spinach as a bed and feta cheese. I made a slide show just for fun...here is a sneak peak ! c

turnips/red peppers/apples just out of the oven-

beet slaw :

Here is a link that might be useful: slideshow of roasted vegetables

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamesbishop911

Hi i am new in this forum :) I wonder how does it taste. It is my first time to hear apples getting roasted :) but i would like to taste it.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 2:42PM
trailrunnerbiker

Hello James glad to meet you :) The roasting concentrates the sugars in the fruits and vegetables. Simply evaporates the water and also the caramelization adds a nice touch. The vegetables taste wonderfully rich when roasted and so do the apples. You must give it a try . They keep very well in the fridge for days and can be used in many ways. Soup, topping for pizza, filling for a galette, quiche or just eat them like candy ! c

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 3:03PM
Teresa_MN

Welcome James! I hope to see you posting more often!

Teresa in Minnesota

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 3:11PM
dedtired

Oh yum, Trail! I love the idea of adding an apple.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 6:13PM
trailrunnerbiker

ded..it gives a lovely texture and sweetness. Hope you try it and post pics. Thank you !! c

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 6:52PM
dcarch7

Great ideas. I enjoy roasted vegetable a lot.

For some vegetables which may take a long time to roast, I steam cook them first then roast. It gives me better control of timing and texture.

Thanks for sharing.

dcarch

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 8:38PM
trailrunnerbiker

dcarch...good to hear from you...I haven't tried that. Will give it a try next week when I am roasting again. thanks for the tip.c

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:22PM
amck2

I love roasted vegetables! Really enjoyed the slide show. You've inspired me to make some vegetable soup. In the past I've always used stock as my liquid, but you make a good point about it masking the pure vegetable flavor.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:03PM
trailrunnerbiker

amck..my oldest DS , the chef, is the one that told me that years ago. Even a vegetable stock will affect the flavors of the soup you are making. I do make his " chicken wonderfulness" as he calls it. Making stock from the skin and bones and then using it as the starter every time you make more chicken stock rather than starting with plain water each time. It concentrates the chicken stock to the point that you only need a teaspoon for a dish. But DH uses it in his stir fry for extra flavor and only in chicken dishes.

Thank you ! I hope you will post pics ! c

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 2:27AM
bulldinkie

I made a whole sheet pan of green beans on Thanksgiving everyone was gone,love roasted veggies, can't get any easier to make.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
Need Recipe Help
Need Recipe Help Our church hosts a Lenten Luncheon...
blueheron
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™