How best to reheat prime rib?

seagrass_gwDecember 26, 2009

My husband & I barely made a dent in the 5 lb. prime rib roast yesterday and there's lots left and only the 2 of us. We want to make another meal out of some of it tonight but I'm not sure how to reheat it. Should I cut pieces off the whole roast and then what?? He likes it rare - me, I'm not crazy for rare meat so I ate from one of the ends last night.

Your experience/advice is most welcome. Thank you!

seagrass

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trixietx

We like our prime rib rare also and the best way I have found to reheat it is to slice it and let it sit on the counter for a little while so that it isn't ice cold and then reheat it in hot au jus.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 12:55PM
seagrass_gw

Thank you trixietx. That makes sense to bring it to room temp - so I'll slice what we want to eat and do that. But I don't have any au jus. Maybe I'll run out and pick up some beef broth?? Would that do the trick?

seagrass

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 1:02PM
trixietx

It sure would.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 1:06PM
chase_gw

That's what I do too. I let the beef come to room temp, slice and place in a shallow baking dish and add either hot jus, gravy or beef broth to cover. Then reheat at a very low setting in the microwave just until warmed through.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 1:41PM
woodie2

I am not microwave savvy, it just doesn't ofren really work well for me. I heat broth in a shallow fry pan on the stove and then add the meat (whatever it is that I'd like to keep as rare as possible) and slap the cover on and turn the heat off and let it sit for a short couple of minutes.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 5:32PM
mst___

What if you have no au jus or broth?

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 6:13PM
wizardnm

I just sat down here after dinner. We had leftover prime rib!
I cut off the amount I wanted and heated it in the microwave. No au jus. Just 1 1/2 minutes on high, it was perfect and just as good as last night. I also had Asiago potatoes, that dish we reheated in the oven, as I thought it could use the extra cooking.

Nancy

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 6:21PM
arlocat

I've been having luck with the microwave. I bring the slice (1/2 to 3/4 inch) to room temp, put a bit of pan drippings if I have any left and give it 30 seconds on high, rest for 2 -3 minutes and repeat as needed until it is heated through. The resting part is important. Stays tender and doesn't get overly cooked.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 6:37PM
chase_gw

mst, I use the packaged low sodium beef broth. I always keep a container in the pantry for things this.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 7:59PM
trixietx

Chase, that is funny. I keep a packet of au jus mix in my pantry for things like this!

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 8:25PM
seagrass_gw

Well, I have to check back in and say "thank you" so much. I went out and bought a can of beef broth and heated it in a small skillet just big enough to hold the 2 slices of prime rib that we cut from the roast. I let those sit at room temp for over an hour. Then I gently heated them in the broth. They were perfect -

I have one slice on the rib left, along with the beef broth and 2 rib bones. I'm going to make beef vegetable soup tomorrow from the leftovers.

Thank you trixietx.

seagrass

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 9:20PM
dgkritch

I pan sear mine in very, very hot pan. Love the carmelized flavor.

Just another option! For another night!

This year I actually used my new (to me) slicer and turned it into sandwich slices for our (3rd) family get together.
I think you'd have to work really hard to ruin prime rib!

Deanna

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 11:03PM
trixietx

You are very welcome and you will have the best soup tomorro!

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Question for Grainlady or other good bakers
My daughter-in-law has recently developed gluten intolerance--she...
laceyvail
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
Favorite pies?
My son attends NERD school; Kidding! They are a bunch...
rob333
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™