Frozen HW Heater pipes

youngdebFebruary 3, 2011

Both my Rinnai HW Heaters have been frozen for 3 days. We're in DFW, and this weather is an every-ten-years kind of event, so we didn't have any issues last year, our first with these HW heaters. Looks like the pipes are frozen inside the walls, and to properly insulate them we're going to have to pull out bricks and apply new insulation.

Before we do that, I thought I'd throw the question out there for you all, what is the best way to insulate these pipes so they don't freeze? Currently all lines into the house have foam wrappers and tape. I can't see the lines in the wall, but I have to assume there's nothing, or they wouldn't have frozen, right? I do know they are PEX pipe, so my plumber couldn't unfreeze them by warming them up from outsidee.

We had one side thawed out and running, and I ran the hot water last night and they still refroze.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Denis421

LittleDeb, see a post 3-4 earlier than yours. "Shower valve/Cartridge problem or frozen pipes" One of "homebound's" return post addressed the frozen pipe issue, as does the latter part of my post. Hope this helps out for the interim, until someone posts a better answer for you.

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™