Using a Johnson Tee in California? Legal?

jscevaFebruary 17, 2012

Trying this again because my previosu attempt if this question gets posted twice, apologies in advance.

Does anybody know if using a Johnson Tee on a dishwasher will pass code in California (i.e., does it satisfy Cal. Plumbing Code 807.4)? Or do you *have* to use a countertop-style air gap. My understanding is that a Johnson Tee *is* an air gap, and they are UPC approved, and I have seen some vague references to them being used in LA in the past, but can;t find any solid info.

Specifically, I am in SF...but any California feedback would be appreciated. I am also trying to get a straight answer locally, but ammo from real-world examples would be great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can try calling the AHJ.

    Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

remember what an air gap is by definition. Ask not if a J tee is a thing known to AHJ.

some people have thought that a high loop is a thing to buy in a package with a label on it saying "DW High Loop". This is not the case, for reasons obvious to almost everyone.

Some people have thought that an air gap is a thing to buy in a package with a label..... same principle. (!). Know what an air gap is, by definition. Then you control the discussion with the one who got hired to enforce the rules made by a committee of ...

    Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 12:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


Any luck in getting this OK'd up in SFO? I am down in peninsula and want to do this as well.


    Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 3:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

@Lalitha - sorry for the delay in replying, I had given up on monitoring this thread for lack of new info....

No luck so far. The SF plumbing inspector categorically rejected the Johnson Tee, though part of the reason was because I am in the city and the vent would be on a wall in a lightwell next to another might be successful in a freestanding house situation. I would suggest going directly to your local inspector and discussing the situation.

After rejecting the johnson tee idea, the chief plumbing inspector then worked with me and came up with an idea that MAY work to avoid a countertop fixture in our case...if it eventually does work out and pass inspection, I will post more details. Right now, (a) I am still not fully understanding what he has proposed (hope to get more clarification today, actually), and (b) I don't want to jinx things before it is all settled!

    Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 11:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There are plastic boxes that can be mounted in the wall near the sink to hide a DW air gap.

The main problem is that if the line from the gap to the drain clogs the gap is going to spew out a few gallons of water when the DW empties ad you need a way to control the water.

    Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:12AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
New Jersey Plumbing Repair and Assitance
As a trusted provider of HVAC and plumbing services...
Sewer line disaster
originally posted on another website, but in the spirit...
Yes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
I started this thread to reply to Sam because the prior...
Pex and insulation.. Can I ???
I am having a hot water heater installed using Pex...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™