Unpleasant taste in tap water

emmi331February 9, 2012

Lately the water coming from my kitchen tap often (not always) has an unpleasant metallic taste to it. Water from all the other faucets tastes fine - what could be going on? I'm not sure whether to call the water dept. or a plumber. Thanks for any advice....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"I'm not sure whether to call the water dept. or a plumber."

If only one fixture is having a problem it's very unlikely to be a water department problem, unless they have recently changed how they treat the water.

Has ANYTHING been change on the kitchen faucet?

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 9:47AM
emmi331

Nothing has changed on the faucet. I thought it might be the old nozzle (to control water pressure), and removed it for awhile, but that made no difference in the bad taste coming and going. It's really a nuisance: I have to check the taste of the water before using it for cooking. If it's bad, I use water from a tap elsewhere in the house. It's very mysterious.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 3:05PM
vgkg

Does the water still have a bad taste even after running it for several seconds to flush out the nearest few feet of plumbing? Does this metallic taste come from both hot and cold taps on the sink? Is your plumbing copper or other type pipes?

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 10:15AM
emmi331

Thanks, vgkg! I took a few days this week to "experiment", based on your suggestions. Yes, the taste comes out of both taps. It looks like the pipes are at least partially copper. The good news is that when I run the water for a few seconds the bad taste goes away. So I'm glad that's solved, though the reason for all this is still a bit of a mystery!

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Water softener sizing
First I am sure that you have answered this a million...
swc3086
patentened iron removal/air filox all in one 1k?
anyone seen or tried or have a opinion on this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FVZHLC/ref=pe_54960_133354970_em_1p_0_ti#customerReviews Product...
Mike Maruska
Culligan vs. Kinetico for very hard water
We just moved into a 3 year old house. The previous...
kate_ca
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™