Vent Height

errlinFebruary 27, 2007

This is probably pretty basic, but I can't find an answer. How far above a roof should a vent extend? I read somewhere it should be two feet above any structure within ten feet horizontal (does that make sense). Anyway, on my 7.5 in 12 roof that would make the vents about 7.5 feet above the roof. Doesn't sound right.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

On a pitched roof the vent height is to be measured from the roof line to the termination opening on the high side of the roof pitch at the vent pipe.

The minimum height is to be 6" above the roof line or in regions subject to snow it is to be 6" above the average snowfall depth. (Generally in snow regions your local code will have a specific length listed).

In regions subject to freezing all vents must be increased to 3" at least 1' inside the structure before penetrating the roof. (some local codes require 4")

The vent must terminate 7' above any flat surface within 10' horizontal that is used as a deck.

Under the IRC a vent must be a minimum of 2' above any opening into the livable structure(Window, skylight, service hatch etc) within 10' horizontal. The UPC requires 3')

A vent termination must remain a minimim of 10' horizontal from the property line.

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 10:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
errlin

Thanks Lazypup, that makes more sense. Apparently I misread the other info.

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
What is the best inexpensive remedy for hard water?
I have an issue with hard water from the bathroom....
calculon88
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
giantsean
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™