Goof plate?

ladoladiFebruary 26, 2012


Several days after installing our kitchen sink cabinet, we had to make an adjustment to our cabinets which required moving the sink cabinet about 2 inches to the left. Because we'd already cut out the back of the cabinet for the water lines and the drain, we now have some very, very odd looking holes around all the plumbing. The holes are far too big to be covered by normal escutcheons.

The plumber (for the bathroom part of the remodel) told us it was no big deal. He said we could just get a "goof plate" to cover "the whole thing."

However, Google searches for "goof plate" and "plumbing" don't really turn up much that is useful. He doesn't know any other name for this thing; it's just what he calls it.

Anyone have any idea what he might be talking about?!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I googled "goof plate" and found all kinds of stuff. Most common usage is in shower valve conversions. Often required to cut out overly-large hole to gain access to the piping behind the tile. The over-size access hole is then covered by the "goof plate". I have two of them in my own house. They look fine.

From your description, not clear about exactly what your situation is but seems as if may be similar application.

    Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 4:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

escutcheon, cover plate, flange, smitty plate

    Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 6:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


If they are in the cabinet under the sink, I wouldn't be too concerned, unless it is posing a problem, more than just you knowing that the holes exist. Who is going to see it?

The "goof plate" the plumber is referencing is made for showers, and to cover the holes so you can aesthetically position the handles correctly - so not really made for your application.

If in fact that you wanted to cover the holes, hire a woodworker or handy man to make a piece(s) to cover over the holes.

Good luck!

    Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 9:50PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
Can i have a pan put under a water heater that is aleady installed?
I dont have a pan under my water heater and i fear...
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™