help with getting smell out of tiled room...

fearlessemJuly 26, 2010

Hi folks --

So recently two feral cats had 9 kittens under our porch. We caught them all and found them all homes, but here's the problem. For about two days, as we were in the process of catching them and giving them away, we kept them in our tiled downstairs bathroom, which is quite small (maybe 5 feet by 5 feet?) We had paper down and such, but by the end of 48 hours, with 9 kittens, it smelled HORRIBLE.

So the kittens are all gone, I've scrubbed the floor probably 4 times over, cleaned the baseboards by hand, opened the door and windows, used airfreshener till the cows come home and still, it smells in there! I can't quite describe the smell -- its just this funk. And since its tiled, I don't know where the smell is hiding -- maybe in the walls?

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get this smell out?

Many thanks in advance,

Emily

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I've heard that oxygen cleaners work wonders.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 2:23PM
christine1950

The urine is probably in the grout, I would buy a bottle of Natures Miracle and spray it all over the floor and let it do its thing. This stuff really does do miracles with odors. Bless your heart for finding homes for the feral kitties.
Christine

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 4:34PM
fearlessem

Thanks so much -- I read great reviews of Natures Miracle online, so I'll go to Petco and buy some today!

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 10:14AM
annzgw

If you had litter boxes, I'm surprised they went on the floor, but I have to agree with christine that the odor is probably in the grout.
There is a NM for cat urine, so be sure to get that product. Also, I wouldn't spray it, I'd saturate the grout by pouring the NM on the grout. Leave it to soak in.....no wiping up....at least 24 hrs. Spray the baseboards and several inches up the walls since the females may have sprayed the walls.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 11:40AM
mazer415

The problem with tiles is they are porous..Go to a tile specialty store and get cleaner from them - my friends family was in the business and she told me they carry special cleaners - good luck

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
swee' Pea got her angel wings yesterday
I lost my sweet dane girl to liver failure. It was...
Ninapearl
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
Dog still has fleas after using Frontline Plus..
Two weeks ago, I gave my dog a bath and then applied...
dianamo_1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™