I could do a room....

Annie DeighnaughMarch 14, 2013

Spring is definitely here...the ice is off the pond, and I've been enjoying watching the wood ducks as they float and dive, disappearing under the water and coming up later who knows where.

I just love all the colors in the male duck....the golds, browns, deep forest green with a hint of sapphire, a touch of white for accent and a pop of orange for energy. Just beautiful.

Anyone else done a room inspired by nature?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snookums2

So how would you do a room with these colors?

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 4:24PM
Boopadaboo

I haven't done one yet, but I am thinking I would like to do a room based on this....

Source: rebelbecauseyoucan.tumblr.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

I have a lot of orange in my house and have for years. Part of me thinks maybe I have succumbed to the pink color of the year even though I don't have cable so no home decor shows and I don't buy magazines anymore. Has it somehow rubbed off on me anyway? Why do I want to add pink to my rooms? Is it because I am rebelling against the 5 males in the house? :) I have no idea, but there will be lots of pink florals in my sunroom by the summer!

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 4:25PM
trailrunnerbiker

Most of the rooms in my home are done in "wood duck". With the Native American prints on my walls and the Persian carpets on the floors I picked out the richest of the tones and painted the walls. The color palettes I used were on a brochure of nature colors that I found at Lowes. I had them made up in BM matte.

The wood duck that Annie shows is exactly what I was after as far as color palette and I was able to achieve with everything I already owned. A very pleasing situation. c

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 4:33PM
leafy02

Annie, the blue, russet and green on that duck are my favorite color combination--I've always loved them together. I hope he enjoys being so beautiful!

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 4:44PM
pricklypearcactus

When I saw the wood duck picture, I immediately thought of some traditional plaid with forest green, dark/navy blue, and white with some leather furniture. I guess now I understand why there's a certain type of decor that incorporates plaid with duck decoys.

I do really like the colors of the duck and I can see how it would inspire a really beautiful room.

A few bulbs are just barely starting to pop some greens up in my yard. It's making me want to add more green to my decor. (Unfortunately my significant other doesn't like green, so I'll have to be judicious in picking things that won't bother him.)

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 5:33PM
jamie81

Annie, I love the colors. Our wood ducks aren't back yet, the pond is still frozen. Have you ever seen the babies drop from the nest? I've watched it twice, amazing.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:29PM
deedee99

We get those too Annie. Such a quirky looking duck with that slicked back plumage in those gorgeous colors

I keep a suet feeder at my kitchen window and a Red-bellied Woodpecker visits every morning with a loud squawk to let us know he is getting breakfast. The colors would make a nice looking palette too.

http://www.1000birds.com

I have always gravitated to the warmer colors in nature when I decorate at home - greens, gold, browns. blacks and rusts. The same colors I dress in too now that I think of it.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:45PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

Annie, those really are such beautiful ducks.

Boop, despite being a 'plain Jane' sort when it comes to decorating, those colors now make me want to redo some room-maybe a guest room. I love the color combo in that bouquet! Just lately, I, too, have been wondering how I could add pink in here and I don't watch decorating shows or buy the magazines either. Maybe it is just that I am itching for spring now.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 7:22PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Snookums, how about a study done in BM wilmington tan wall with cherry finished woodwork, a sapphire blue sofa, side chairs upholstered in the forest green with maybe some orange throw pillows??

Or how about a kitchen like this one....

Oh wait...that's my kitchen!
:)

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:36PM
Annie Deighnaugh

deedee, we have those woodpeckers too...always wondered why they were called red breasted when the red on the head is so prominent!

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:37PM
Annie Deighnaugh

boop, your link was broken so I couldn't see the pic.
:(

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:38PM
Annie Deighnaugh

jamie, I've not had the pleasure of seeing that, but I'm sure it's fascinating...I still struggle with birds with webbed feet hanging out in trees...

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:41PM
Boopadaboo

:( I had that pinned for awhile, then I posted it here and now it has been removed. I never saved the picture. I loved that bouquet!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:13AM
Circus Peanut

My whole house is wood duck colors ...

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:02PM
Boopadaboo

How strange. Is the image back for everyone else? it is now back for me. And I saved it. :) It is huge now though.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:05PM
snookums2

Funny, I would not think of these rooms as duck colors. It seems like colors I am very used to seeing! Love them!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:29PM
Oakley

Annie, I always thought your living room (and kitchen) were decorated in those colors.

My LR is. Rustish/maroonish sofa, forrest green chair, antique mission rocker, gold accents, band-aid walls with white beadboard. And teal in the persian.

All it needs is wings! I've got the woodpecker thing going on in the kitchen. lol

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 3:26PM
Annie Deighnaugh

yes, I see boop's vase now...those colors look like a great girl's room, or a sun porch to me....so bright and cheerful.

circuspeanut, aren't those colors wonderful....really brings the outside in, especially against your woodwork.

Would wood duck work with your wood work??? Wood duck works with your wood work! Good work! Just ducky!
:)

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 8:22AM
tinam61

I love the outdoors but for me it would have to be the spring/summer colors. I do not have the earth tones in my home. They just do not suit me. I've seen beautiful warm rooms in those tones, but I'm drawn to lighter, brighter, Those colors make my heart sing. The earth tone palette would depress me. Funny how colors do that!

I LOVE Boops picture and those colors - but I would probably not include the orange. LOL Have just this week been ordering fabric samples for pillows and yesterday bought a turquoise throw. I have some red accents, but am trying to bring some turquoise into the picture too.

tina

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:59AM
luckygal

Annie, that wood duck photo is a wonderful inspiration for a color scheme.

I also adore boopadaboo's floral colors as a color scheme.

I am currently leaning toward tweaking my LR color scheme based on colors in some oil paintings I've recently bought. Fortunately my basic color scheme is neutral so it's relatively easy to change the accessories.

My bedroom scheme is based on the floral chintz of these wingback chairs. My walls are the brownish color of the wide stripe and I use blue, green, and sometimes the rose or mauve as accents. So easy to have a coordinated color scheme when using such inspiration pieces.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:35AM
leafy02

Circuspeanut, where did you get that rug? I love it!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:42AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Lucky gal, those are pretty, gentle colors...nice for a bedroom.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:46AM
Boopadaboo

I am glad that bouquet is back. Your kitchen is lovely Annie.

I too love that rug circuspeanut. the room is great!

Pretty chairs luckygal.

I am still hoping we will see some more nature inspired rooms. :)

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 3:43PM
Annie Deighnaugh

If you haven't seen it, I just love perusing the pictures and the color palettes at design seeds. I could spend hours just looking....such wonderful eye candy and so inspirational.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design seeds

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:00AM
bronwynsmom

Ho ho, Annie! How much wood could a wood duck duck (if a wood duck would duck wood ...)?

I saw a deep green painted library with a creamy Oushak carpet, a rich red-brown leather sofa, a black japanned or tole-painted lacquer tray on a walnut-legged, ball and claw footed ottoman with camel low-pile velvet upholstery and black braided welting, an antique mahogany game table with red leather inlay and Chinese chippendale chairs, brass lamps with gold-lined black hardback shades, and a series of prints of tidal marshes with ... ducks!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:52AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Sounds fab, B!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:43AM
trailrunnerbiker

Wonderful rooms and pics. I love that chintz chair lucky ! And your kitchen is lovely annie. CP that room is stunning. Design seeds has some great palettes.Thank you for starting such a great thread annie.

Here are a couple pics of some of my nature themed areas. I am in VA so can't take more.

hall runner Persian Tribal and turned wooden bowls:

handmade wool rug from NM Tierra Wools in Los Ojos

turned bowls and wool throw and handmade heart pine salvage bench in DR :

same DR...chocolate walls and handmade maple DR furniture :

Native American silk screen print from Tewa Gallery ( now closed) in Santa Fe...highlights natures colors on Navy wall in sitting room.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:45PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks, TR...there's something so influential about the SW landscapes on colors and design....seems to me more so than almost any other style...your DR looks so warm and cozy!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 5:39PM
trailrunnerbiker

Thank you Annie..it is...we love it in the mornings in the Winter especially with the sun and the lace curtains. My fave room I think in our home. Lovely thread. c

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:13PM
bronwynsmom

Ooh, this is fun!
I went back and stared at the duck again, and thought about ditching the traditional library for something else.

Now I'm seeing an open post-and-beam house on a lake high in the mountains, golden terra cotta walls, wide-planked deep rich cherry floors, big wide windows with thin black muntins, black and white striped curtains, a mossy green wool velvet rug, creamy white slipcovered smooshy sofas, a cowhide butterfly chair, sleek modern lighting, and a collection of Anasazi pottery.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:44PM
Annie Deighnaugh

A walk in closet?

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 8:21AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I also can see a master bedroom with a large carved mahogany 4 poster bed with a wooden canopy, navy walls, gold carpeting, forest green bedding with some rust and orange throw pillows....very ralph lauren....

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 8:34AM
Boopadaboo

:) I have some of these pinned....This is fun...

Source: Uploaded by user via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: completelytotallymadly.blogspot.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: Uploaded by user via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: architecturaldigest.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:25AM
Boopadaboo

these remind me of the Bouquet....

Source: via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: hearthomemag.co.uk via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:37AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Here's a tween's room for the bouquet...

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:31AM
Boopadaboo

That is pretty! I forgot this one - also one of my favorites!

Source: genie-in-the-bottle.tumblr.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:42PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Get a load of this bird!

I could do a room around those colors!

Oh wait, I already did....my PR!

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
artificial Christmas tree; Frontgate? Balsam Hill?
We're thinking of going with an artificial Christmas...
kardut
How comfortable are platform beds?
Are they harder/firmer/less comfortable without a box...
marti8a
Before I Take the Tags Off........
What do you think? DH & I got this BHG set (and...
the_foxes_pad
sectional sofa help
hi cross posting this from furniture b/c I really could...
lmgch
Need Help Choosing Area Rug for Living Room
I think I need a rug in here to anchor everything together....
mary44
Sponsored Products
Chicology 'Blaze' Faux Wood Window Blinds
Overstock.com
Stylish Grey Wallpaper R1350, double roll
Walls Republic
Furniture of America Linear Shoe/Multi-purpose Cabinet
Overstock.com
Berkeley Dining Arm Chair Cover - Sand
$149.50 | FRONTGATE
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Royal
$75.00 | Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Justica Dark Brown 4 ft.
Home Depot
Fleming 30" 40 1/4" Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
JOOLA USA ROLLOMAT Table Tennis Table with WM Net Set - 11410
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™