Lily Update: In the hospital

momof2doxiesJuly 24, 2009

Just a quick update on Lily. She started vomiting last evening and we ended up having to take her to the emergency clinic. They kept her there overnight on IV's and she was transferred to the hospital this morning. Her lymph nodes are even larger this morning. Almost the size of golf balls on both sides. The labs that were done before the vomiting started showed an increase in her BUN at 33(normal is 25), but her creatinine is normal. Her Alka Phos is also elevated to 299, but she is a growing puppy so that isn't unexpected.

She looks terrible right now. She only weighs 6 pounds and after all the vomiting she is just skin and bones this morning. At this point, they don't know what is going on. Doing repeat labs and x-rays this morning. We should get the cytology report back this afternoon and are hoping that gives a clue as to what is going on.

Needing lots of positive thoughts this morning.

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Meghane

Lots of positive thoughts coming your way for Lily. Please keep us posted. We're rooting for her!

    Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 8:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladybugfruit

Sending thoughts and prayers your way

    Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 9:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eandhl

I am so sorry you, Lily and your DH are going through this. Positive thoughts for all.

    Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 11:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trinigemini

Good luck with everything

    Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 2:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
junebug1961

I hope she improves soon!

    Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 3:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quasifish

Prayers and good thoughts for a turn around soon. Hope you get some good news.

    Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 4:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ninapearl

oh how awful for you!! lots of healing hugs and prayers going out to you all!

    Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momof2doxies

Thanks to you all. Lily seemed a bit better this evening when we saw her. They got the vomiting stopped with med's, but she is really weak for now.

Labs, x-rays, ultrasounds and cytology all came back normal today. So, they really think that this is all due to her "teething like crazy". Meghane, you were so right. Thank you. She has 5 internal med. Vet's taking care of her right now besides the residents and med. students. They all are amazed and relieved that they haven't found anything. We are so fortunate that we have a great Vet. School here.

Lily was able to keep a little white rice down this evening also. If she can keep food down with the anti-emetics, then they will let her come home tomorrow. It is amazing to me that a puppy can get so sick just from teething. It is always a learning experience.

Thanks again,
Linda

    Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 9:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Meghane

I'm so glad everything came back normal. Whew! Hope she continues to improve and goes home as scheduled. Which vet school, out of curiosity?

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 11:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shellm

Linda,glad to hear Lily is improving.You have had such a difficult time.Drake and I send hugs and prayers.

Shelley and Drake

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 12:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claire_de_luna

Linda, I'll keep sending good thoughts your way for Lily, even though it looks like she's improving. I hope you get to bring her home very soon!

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 1:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Poor baby! But glad she's feeling better!
Linda C

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 1:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momof2doxies

Lily got to come home this afternoon. She has been asleep since she got home. I had a little talk with her on the way home from the hospital. I told her that she has used up her lifetime of drama and she is only 4 1/2 months old. All of this drama and worry over nothing more than puppy teething.

Meghane, we have Purdue Univerisity Vet School here in West Lafayette, IN. They aren't as prestigious as some of the big east coast schools, but they are excellent in spinal reseach and treatment and also urology. Considering we have 3 doxies we are grateful to be living here. We are fortunate to be working with Dr. Adams with our Gracie's urinary problems. He is supposed to be one of the top 5 Urologists.

Thanks again everyone.

Linda

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weed30

Aww, glad to hear Lily is on the mend. Poor little pup!

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 5:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darenka

big, wet, sloppy puppy kisses being sent your way--they can cure a lot of aliments. I'm glad Lily is healthy and thanks for sharing. I've learned something new.

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 6:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cotehele

I missed all the nail-biting. You had a mighty big scare for a pup so young. I am so glad Lily is doing well and at home!

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 6:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sally2_gw

Whew, I'm glad to be reading she's doing better. I hope she continues to improve.

Sally

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 8:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaun

I'm happy to read she's doing better now. What a scare!

    Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo

Adding to the positive thoughts for Lily! I'm glad you had a talk with her - she sure has used up her drama quota. Give her lots o fkisses and snuggles from me too - and fingers crossed that it is smooth sailing from here.

Alexa

    Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 9:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doucanoe

Linda,I am so glad Lily is feeling better. Hard to believe teething would cause so much stress and illness! But I am also amazed at a lot of things that can make dogs sick!

Hugs from me and puppy kisses from Mojo and Chessa.

Linda

    Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 11:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daylilydayzed

Hugs and kisses are from from Coal, he is along haired doxie who is about 5 months old right now.He hasn't seen Lily but he is sending her good wishes.

    Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 2:17AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How to convince my parents ?
How can I convince my parents into getting a small...
adi003
integrating a cat and a dog
i have a male neutered cat. he's been here for many...
randy41_1
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
skunky zoo smell on my cats
We brought our 5 outdoor cats with us when we moved...
ryseryse_2004
Sponsored Products
Lucent Brushed Steel Floor Lamp
$79.95 | Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Trellis Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
King Quilted Velvet Coverlet 108" x 96" - GREEN LILY
$990.00 | Horchow
Oda White USB Port Table Lamp with Power Outlets
Lamps Plus
Centro Mist Rectangular Throw Pillow - Set of Two
$34.99 | zulily
AHB Lafayette Backless Counter Height Stool - 111138
$259.95 | Hayneedle
Barricade 30 to 52-inch Adjustable Energy Efficient Double Curtain Rod
Overstock.com
Dover Brushed Nickel Nine-Light Chandelier
$298.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™