Can cat jump over 2 foot high baby gate?

phish_gwJuly 12, 2011

Can a cat jump over a 2 foot high baby gate if I am trying to keep him in a room? What if I stack 2 baby gates on top of each other so it is 4 feet (I don't know how secure that would be but I'm hoping he couldn't jump over it)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cats.and.dog

My cats can make it onto my 3 foot high kitchen counter in a single jump with hardly any effort- unfortunately! I don't think 2 stacked gates will deter a cat either if it really wants out. I've seen the cats run up the six foot fence outside many times- another fairly easy feat for them with their back claws which they use very effectively for traction. I'm thinking the only solution for you would be a crate for short-term confinement.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 8:53AM
klseiverd

Absolutely, on a 2' gate. I'd bet on the cat on the 4' double gate, too. My cat, 3 yo, doesn't even need a "wind-up" to go from floor to counter-top, fairly high bed, windowsills.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:20AM
calliope

If you have a dedicated room where you need to keep a cat secure, you may find it worth the effort to install a cheap screen door, preferably with spring closure to snap shut quickly. It does not impede air circulation, it provides total area security, and you can still see and hear through it.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 11:14AM
vicki7

Oh my goodness yes. When I've had cats in the past, they would have no trouble at all with a gate of that height.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 12:42PM
lazy_gardens

A cat can hop over a 2-foot barrier without even crouching.

If you stack two gates to make a 4-foot barrier they may need to crouch and wiggle their butt a bit before they jump over it. Or they will scramble up the mesh and bars to get over the top, like ninja commando-cat.

The only way to keep a cat in or out of a room is to close the door ... and if you have lever-handled locks, you may need toddler guards or replace the handles.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 3:16PM
laurief_gw

Cats and kittens can jump or climb over baby gates of any height unless they completely fill the doorway from top to bottom like so:

This setup is easier if you have two entrances to the room so that you don't have to keep removing the center gate to climb over (which can be darned inconvenient over time). The alternative, as someone else mentioned, is to replace the door temporarily with a sturdy screen door made out of hardware cloth (not flimsy vinyl screening that cats can easily tear through).

Laurie

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 7:16PM
laurief_gw

I have to amend my reply a little. Any HEALTHY kitten or cat can jump or climb multiple baby gates. Cats with physical limitations like obesity, arthritis, some chronic illnesses, lamenesses, etc. may not be able to navigate even a single gate.

Laurie

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
How to convince my parents ?
How can I convince my parents into getting a small...
adi003
how many of you like mice?
They are Ginny and scabbers.I don't have them now because...
adi003
skunky zoo smell on my cats
We brought our 5 outdoor cats with us when we moved...
ryseryse_2004
Am I confusing my cat?
I've had My Manx for 3 years this summer. He was an...
craftylady
Sponsored Products
Old England Bed Set
Overstock.com
Blue Star Group Dining Furniture TERRACE MATES Caleo Premium 5-Piece Patio
Home Depot
8' Red Cedar Eden Half Picket Rail Bridge
Fifthroom.com
Hill Gate Large Black Outdoor Wall Mount
$289.90 | Bellacor
Lattice Queen-size Bed
Overstock.com