How do you clean your Chef King Griddle?

Kitten1313March 26, 2014

I just got mine yesterday, a 4 burner 7 gauge steel one. I'm already in love. :) I seasoned it. I think I did a pretty good job, though the process made it pretty clear that the burners don't heat extremely evenly. There are four dark brown circles on the griddle from where it lays over the burners, whereas the middle is not as seasoned.

Anyhoooo, how do I clean this bad boy? Last night I grilled vegetables on it, using just a bit of vegetable oil and used my spatula to scrape off any scraps. This morning I made pancakes and bacon, which left quite a bit more debris.

Do you use water on the hot griddle (hibachi style)? Or just scrape? Do you use a special tool? What should it look like after it's been cleaned?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookncarpenter

Not sure about the Chef King, but If it's similar material, (3/8" cold rolled steel), I can tell you about my Bluestar griddle that's been used daily for over a year. I've never used soap, and only used small amount water (when hot, as a de-glaze), a couple of times. Other than that, when finished cooking, and still warm, I scrape it with a flat spatula, or use this stainless drywall knife which works ideal! Then just a wipe with a paper towel.
In other words, I treat it as I do my vintage cast iron skillets....in time, it will become more and more non stick, and eggs will slide right off :)

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 1:50PM
Kitten1313

Thanks for the photo and reply. I need to do a better job scraping - mine looks a little gunkier than that. I'm obsessed with cooking on it!

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 11:28AM
cookncarpenter

If you have a gunk build up, try he Scotch brite stainless scrubs ... they work great for getting back down to a smooth surface, but remember no soap, detergent or cleansers! oil or water only...

Here is a link that might be useful: SS scrubs

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:12PM
Kitten1313

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Budget or DIY Counter Options
I've got a couple of ideas I'd like to bounce out there,...
denizenx
Carrara tile backsplash with carrara countertop
I found a few images in the photos section of houzz,...
crl_
48 inch WOLF DF Range, Steamer, Wall oven
Hello, I need some advice since these are a huge investment...
hkwan
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™