how to counter the grayness of white dove paint

ths13March 4, 2013

Hi all
i finished my kitchen about 1 1 /2 years ago and used BM white dove for the cabinets. i have never really been a fan of the white dove and wished i used a warmer white. i presently have the walls painted a taupish color and want to add a little drama. i love the idea black walls. i have a 10 x 10 dining area in the kitchen with a cathedral ceiling that is wainscoted( sp?) and leaded glass triple casement windows on both walls in the nook.there really is not that much wall. the wall is really broken up by windows and doors. the wood portion is white dove to match the cabs as is all the trim. my question is what color black would make the gray of white dove calm down. i was thinking of either BM soot or BM midnight or F&B off black,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gr8daygw

Could you post a photo? I'm thinking the colors you mention would only make it worse. Something not so severe and softer would seem to lessen the effect of the white dove. Something softer, a taupe-y gray such as Shenandoah Taupe by BM? Your kitchen sounds lovely.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 10:47AM
Linelle

I agree with gr8day. I can't imagine anything much worse than black walls (soot? midnight?), period. But especially if you're trying to warm things up. Although I know what you mean about White Dove having a slight gray cast, but I don't think it's that bad. How's the light in your kitchen? Can you add more to warm things up?

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:56PM
pricklypearcactus

Do you want to minimize the gray in the cabinets or generally warm up the space?

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:56PM
nap101

I just finished doing a lot of trim in white dove. I know what you mean by the slight grayish tone, but it's all relative. If it's next to something warm such as taupe walls, or hardwood it will look cool. If it's next to a wall that is cooler in tone it will look warm. So if you just want your cabinets to look warmer, make sure you use a cool color for the walls whatever the value.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 9:49PM
jeri

I have my cabinet doors / drawers and was all set to paint them with White Dove. Now you all are scaring me!

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 10:47PM
breezygirl

Jeri--White Dove looked dingy gray with a sickly yellowy-green undertone in my light. I couldn't understand why the color was so popular. As with any color you're contemplating, buy a test pot, paint a large paper or board, and move it around the room in your light and in different times of the day and evening. That's the only way to really judge the best color for you.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:29PM
Linelle

I'm with Breezy on White Dove. It looked dingy compared to my other white finalists. I did discover that comparing color choices to one another muddied the waters, once you've narrowed it down to two or three choices. In the end, it's really how a single color looks in your space, not how it differs from a similar one. I think the light and other elements of your kitchen are huge factors, esp. the light. At certain times of day I get some green from neighbor's foliage, but I filter it out and don't see it anymore. It would be there regardless of the paint color.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Soapstone in the Midwest/St. Louis area?
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for the past year,...
designsaavy
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Old, Deep Cast Iron Sink or New Sink? I can't decide
Hello, would love to hear from those of you who have...
Cindy McMahon
Ikea cover panel installation question (Akurum line)
Hi all! I was ready to post this to ikeafans.com and...
criv227
Sponsored Products
Real Flame Birch 18-inch Convert-To-Gel Log Set
Overstock.com
PowderBlue Ornamental Wallpaper R2057
Walls Republic
Cheval Commode/Chest
FRONTGATE
Artehouse Golden Retriever I Wooden Wall Art - 14W x 20H in. - 0004-1973-26
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Nicolette Black Dresser - BLACK
$1,749.00 | Horchow