Is this design an improvement or prob with view from DR

alermarMarch 4, 2014

I'm deciding between these 2 designs (I think). I like Design2, but it means that the DR will have a direct view of the cleanup sink (I'm a messy cook). It seems to be a good use of the (huge) island though. Is there a way to have the option of closing off the kitchen? The problem is the open bar counter (which DH loves). Thoughts?

Design #1 (but flipping the cooktop, prep sink & stools)

Design #2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alermar

Or perhaps I should start over and get rid of the indoor/outdoor table. Maybe divide the island in half with a walkway in between -- one for prep/cooktop and the other for clean up? Like this

This post was edited by alermar on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 11:57

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 11:28AM
alermar

Here is a link to the original design thread:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0213170520238.html

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 12:25PM
robo (z6a)

I think design 2 is illogical. There's something I don't like about the sink being right opposite the cooktop. So I much prefer design 1. I don't think you'll mind having that big expanse of countertop around your cooktop. It will be prep central! I also think you should move those stools from the end to actually face the cook. Because when the stools are in use they're going to crowd your breakfast bar area way too much. Or jettison the stools altogether if you already have seating at the indoor outdoor table, seating at the living room bar and seating at the dining room table. Three seating areas is probably enough.

Transitional Kitchen by Pennington Interior Designers & Decorators AJ Margulis Interiors

You could also consider satisfying DH's need for a bar and your need for stools by doing some more reconfiguring and adding an indoor/outdoor bar instead of a table, near the grill somewhere:

Mediterranean Patio by Los Angeles General Contractors SoCal Contractor

Not sure if those are a flash-in-the-pan idea or here to stay.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 1:51PM
phillyfeet

Just a quick observation about design 1 - having the fridge and cooktop opposite each other would not work for me cause i do a lot of standing in front of my cooktop and wouldn't want someone standing behind me opening the fridge doors.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 3:58PM
robo (z6a)

Question - what if you put the beverage bar in the island, on the outside of the island, and hid cleanup in that nook where the beverage bar is? Your prep sink in the island could double as a bar sink. Range goes back on the wall between fridge and ovens.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 4:44PM
sena01

I'd prefer option 1.

Wouldn't it be too hard to clean a 4' 8" wide island?

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 7:53PM
alermar

I agree -- frig and cooktop opposite won't work.
Hiding the sink where the beverage bar is makes sense, but DH really wants the bar there so that the wrap around counter that goes into the living room can act as a real bar with a couple of stools underneath. That's one thing I can't move. The indoor/outdoor bar thing is intriguing, but we don't have enough room between the pool and the kitchen.
The stools at the island aren't really for seating, they're for the cook (and maybe a helper) to rest her tired bones on ;)
We just finished at the cabinet/countertop place. Using design#1, they suggest having only one stack of ovens (put the micro somewhere else or do the miele combi oven). That would give me more counter around the sink and would move the sink over. The cooktop would either be opposite the sink (they're going to increase the aisle) or offset enough that it looks intentional. We'll see if that works.
You all are great -- I had so much more knowledge when I went this time. They hadn't planned on any outlets in my HUGE island!!

This post was edited by alermar on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 19:56

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Walnut cabinets - natural or stain?
I fell in love with walnut for my kitchen cabinets....
zaphod42
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Faux marble countertops II
Here's the link to original post, but it's kind of...
lavender_lass
Looking for a review of TCE Quartz
Looking to put in a Quartz countertop and was quoted...
maremurry
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™