contractor just walked out on me, drain question

mary_maryFebruary 17, 2012

We are in process of a shower rip-out and redo because first tile guy did not slope floor correctly.

Today, new tile guy was going to finish new tile installation --slope is good, sealed with hydroban , etc.

Last night , I looked down the Oatey pvc drain and saw what looks like a hunk of mortar clinging to side of drainpipe. Maybe 1 big tablespoon in size--not enough to impede water, but big enough for debris to cling to. I tried to dislodge it gently, but it was hard as rock.

This morning I asked tile guy if it is a problem. He got very angry, said he is not a plumber. Said, he did not drop mortar in the drain, it is a mineral deposit.

His English ability is very limited. He took my question as an insult and walked out. Thoughts anyone ? I feel terrible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doc8404

Why feel terrible? Please remember, he works for you.

Your question to him seemed proper to me.

Insist he get his sorry a** back on the job and grow up.

Best wishes,
Doc

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 1:31PM
GreenDesigns

2 bad tile contractors in a row seems to be a bit above the law of averages. Are you doing reference checks and viewing their past work in person before hiring them?

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 3:24PM
asolo

I hope you didn't pay him. Disagreements are par for the course. Walking out is pretty extreme. From your description, sounds like a simple enough question/concern to me.

FWIW, I don't hire contractors that I'm unable to communicate with. Where I live, there are many non-English speakers. When I contract for jobs in my home, I've learned to insist on at least one competent English-speaker in attendance. No disparagement toward anyone, but I must be able to communicate.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 4:45PM
antsss

FWIW, I don't hire contractors that I'm unable to communicate with

How would things get done otherwise ???

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
giantsean
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™