Faucet hose and galvanic corrosion

mcburtonFebruary 14, 2011

I have installed new sink faucets which have a copper connector leading into the valves and I have PB flexible water piping in my home with a 3/8" OD threaded valve connector. If I use a stainless steel braded hose (like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_195292-73838-U261_0_?productId=3132125&Ntt=faucet+hose&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0_s%3FNtt%3Dfaucet%2Bhose%26page%3D2) to connect the water supply to the copper faucet valve lines, will this result in galvanic corrosion to the copper tubes on the faucet? Should I instead get some copper and make my own connection hose/tube? I suspect these hoses are actually lined internally with some rubber or plastic material and that the water passing through is actually not in contact with the stainless steel, but I am not sure.

Thanks!

Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

As long as the actual metal is not touching, you will not see galvanic corrosion. Use teflon tape in the threads and make your connection.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 9:39AM
brickeyee

"Use teflon tape in the threads and make your connection."

Most of the hose connections are compression connectors and no tape is required (and it should not be used).

The rubber seal is in the end of the hose and the threads are mechanical and not tapered.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 10:10AM
justalurker

mcburton,

Just a note... the hose you posted the URL to is NOT a braided stainless steel hose.

It is a cheap hose with plastic braid in a clear vinyl case. It is no more reliable than the junk hoses you find all around it just looks like it is and the $5 price is the clue.

Shop around and find quality stainless steel braided hoses. It's worth the trouble cause you'll do it once and never bother with them again.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 10:42AM
homebound

I think it's plastic hose wrapped in stainless steel braid. It should be fine (without worry about corrosion).

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 3:46PM
justalurker

There is no steel of any kind in those Lowes $5 hoses. I've had a few blow and disassembled them. The braid was nylon.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
rss1978
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
if I purchase a small Belfast sink fron England to...
rantontoo
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
larry_a_williams
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
tucker_troy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™