kitten advice

gabriell_gwJune 10, 2010

I've always loved cats and have not had one since my last one died.Last Friday I brought home a kitten. She is darling, is loving, eats well but will not use litter box.Could someone refresh my memory. I can't remember what I did in the distant past. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cassandra

Most kittens catch on immediately if you put them in the box and show their little paws how to scratch. Make sure it is a box with very low sides and just a bit of a litter layer so that the little thing doesn't get overwhelmed. You can also take a gentle wipe at her bum when she's in the box to stimulate bowel movement, as her mother would.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 6:32AM
Elly_NJ

Whenever I get a "new" cat, I confine the to a room (like my bedroom) until they use a litterbox. I put a few boxes throughout the house, so they know there is access.

I think this is especially helpful if you have kittens.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 6:45AM
quasifish

Make sure the litter box is where she can easily find it and remember where it is.

I always take the kittens to the box immediately after eating or when they first wake up. Just set her in it and let her decide if she needs to use it or not.

If you are not home for extended periods of time, then I'd also go with confining her while she is alone. That way her range is smaller and the litter box will (hopefully) be more apparent to her.

Good luck.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 10:09AM
sue36

How old is she? I assume she has relieved herself in the last week...where is she going?

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 11:49AM
harebelle

When she goes poo elsewhere just scoop it up and drop it into the litterpan. The smell of her poo will tell her that that's a pooing place. Peeing in the box comes naturally then.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 7:49PM
gabriell_gw

Harebell, that is exactly what I did last night. And now she is using it!Thank goodness!

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
Adopted older stray dog now poops in the house...
Hi, I adopted a stray dog from mexico. She is very...
Lynn Souliere Neal
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
Constipated Kitty (Warning - LONG)
Hi All - I haven't been on the forum in quite awhile,...
manda3183
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™