basement venting

oldnorskieFebruary 8, 2011

getting ready to cut basement slab to add a bath. i'm re-routing a 3" line from first floor bath to go under the basement slab with (2) 90's for about 15' and tie into an existing 4" c.i. to street. i'll wye into the 3" line from toilet, tub & shower (all less than 6') and 1-1/2" from lav will run into the 2" shower line with AAV under the countertop. am i ok on venting depending on the 4" c.i. line as a wet vent with a vent stack upstream about 18' ? thank you. al

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidro1

sounds to me like there's no real vent, and you are proposing only an AAV and the (so-called) wet venting.

is this reading correct?

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 9:13AM
oldnorskie

yes , that's my plan. will it work reliably?

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 11:03AM
davidro1

no. it will not work.

2/ where in your entire house are the real vents?

3/ you will need master plumber input.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 11:11AM
oldnorskie

the main 4" c.i. line i'm tying into has a vent stack about 18' upstream & services a toilet on the first floor.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 12:23PM
davidro1

The critical distance is the 15' one.

The fact that "the main 4" c.i. line i'm tying into has a vent stack about 18' upstream..." was the one thing you should not have mentioned in your first post, as it is irrelevant and only serves to show how little you know. No offense. I read and re-read your first post many times. It is a bit dense and it takes a while to figure out.

Repeating your "18ft distance" information in another post confirms my hunch and my reading of your situation, and it shows how little you have learned. Go learn and come back. Or, hire a Master Plumber. Or, stop asking if you can do it the way you asked in your first post.

If you post at other plumbing sites you may want to rewrite the first post completely. Please accept this information and advice in the spirit in which it was given. I'm not a plumber; feel free to post again, with new news or to ask for more input from more people.

Hth

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 1:59PM
oldnorskie

thank you for your comments. i should have mentioned that the 3" line i'm re-routing serves a toilet on the first floor and is on a vented stack. so, i have a vented stack at the head of the 3" line and at the head of the 4" main line. does this clarify the drainage issue in the 3"? also have a drawing which might help: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3642/basei.jpg

thank you

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Kitchen sink faucet lost its water pressure
I did some preventative maintenance this evening by...
yam2006
Water softener decision for Austin, Texas city water
I want to better protect my plumbing from wear and...
ivaniphone
Undermount sink edge intrudes on cut-out for faucet
15 years ago my kitchen was totally renovated by a...
Andee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™