our azul macaubas granite has stains!

theresab1March 25, 2008

so on either side of our rangetop I've noticed a darkening of our granite. We had our granite fabricators to look yesterday- they said we need to remove the rangetop they will get the stains out and then reseal. They think grease got into the granite and so it needs to be resealed! I am really upset this happened- is it common? I wonder if part of the reason was our granite was sealed then we took our our rangetop and put a new one in (long story dh ordered the wrong wolf rangetop so we had to wait until the new one came).

Our granite was installed in September. Sigh.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cloud_swift

Oh no! Theresa, I'm sorry to hear that and a bit surprised. Both the data at findstone.com and the technical info at the Azul Macaubas site indicate it is a low absorption stone. Jessyf who hangs out on the cooking forum has azul macaubas countertops (tile rather than slab). Our azul do mar has been in for over a year with no sign of any staining. It gets pretty hard use since we have 4 cooks in the family and do a lot of cooking.

Do you have pictures? I wonder if it could be something other than absorption.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 9:41PM
bluekitobsessed

When I was obsessing over blue granite I found a website called Tom Cordova, the Rock Blog. He holds himself out as a granite expert with various maintenance comments/faqs/etc. I don't know if he actually knows what he's talking about but it might be worth checking out. I think that if you donate $18 to his favorite charity he responds to specific questions. Again, I'm not endorsing him. In any case please get a second opinion from someone who knows their stuff. Good luck!!!

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 10:32PM
cloud_swift

For a website to check, I like stoneadvice.com. They respond to questions on their forum and I found them very helpful.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 11:02PM
chmpgntst

Oh, Therasab1, I have no words of wisdom but I must say I was literally crushed when I read the subject line -- I live vicariously through your stunning blue granite and I am so sad to hear it is giving you angst. Hopefully they will get the stains out and frequent sealing will prevent any relapses.

Amy

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 11:06PM
sausalito

I had the same problem with my azul macauba, but we poulticed it and the stains came out. Make sure you get the stains out before you reseal or you might lock them in.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 1:39PM
Debbi Branka

Can I please see some pictures of these? That is my all time favorite granite and I would love to ooh and ahh over it!

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 2:53PM
sjerin

Me too!!!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:01PM
island

Me three! Don't think I've ever seen that stone, at least not installed.

Hope the resealing helps!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
Faucet Choice: Blanco, Hansgrohe or KWC
Hi, We are remodeling our kitchen and will be putting...
jazzcook
Please help! We're getting a buzz--LED dimmer questions
We installed Commercial Electric LED can lights made...
laughablemoments
Anyone bought a sink from www.seamlesssinks.com?
http://www.seamlesssink.com/ledge-galley-sinks.html much...
Dietitian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™