granite and backsplash

bklyncat58March 9, 2014

I ordered a tan brown granite the guy came to do the template. he said I should use a 4" granite backsplash . but was planning to use a subway travatine tile for the backsplash. will this look funny with the 4" granite and then tile on top . all of the pics I see online the granite goes to the wall and backsplash meets it with grout at the seam . if anybody has pics of what this might look like please show me. thanks this is my first post.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debrak2008

Why did he suggest this? Is it because it is what he likes or because he intends to leave a large uneven gap against the wall?

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 9:27AM
bklyncat58

don't know that is why im nervous

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 9:54AM
Trebruchet

bklyncat58:

He probably suggested the granite splash because it makes his life easier and more profitable. You can charge extra for a 4" splash, but you can't charge for scribing granite to a wall close enough to make tile fit.

Confirm in writing that he's been notified that the granite must be within 1/8" of the wall and that you don't want the granite splash.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 10:01AM
susanlynn2012

Trebruchet, thanks for letting us know that if we do not want the granite 4" splash, we should specify in writing that the granite must be within 1/8th of the wall. Thank you!

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 10:55AM
kevdp4

I don't know but to me a 4" splash and tile above that is like wearing a belt and suspenders!

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 7:14PM
bicyclegirl1

I just read an article recently from a designer about those 4" pieces of BS, saying it was not something one should do if they're putting up a tile BS. I'm sorry I don't know where I saw it, but It showed pictures of some & I didn't think it looked as good as the ones that didn't have it. It cut the wall up. I wouldn't do it, but go to Houzz & ck out pictures to see what you like, tho. It might be something you want. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 7:30PM
Poohpup

Don't do the 4" granite splash if you plan to tile above. The 4" splash makes the tile look like it was an afterthought. I've never seen a splash done that way that, IMHO, looked good.

And make sure your fabricator knows if you don't plan on doing a side splash. I didn't want a side splash and the fabricator just assumed I'd have one (even though I told him!) and they left a sloppy gap where they thought I'd put a side splash.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 12:02AM
KS_Chicago

It really depends on your preference and granite/tile selection. I think having that 4'' granite splash can serve as a boarder/frame for your tile and make the kitchen look more complete. The trick is that granite and tile have to really be complimentary and make it look like it was intentional. I found a few pics of kitchens with links below where I think it adds some visual interest to have that 4''. I personally like it and intentionally had that 4'' put in, even if it is not what the experts are liking :)

I do think that if you are going for a very streamlined/modern kitchen, then it might be too much detail...

http://www.houzz.com/photos/676493/Island-Dreams-traditional-kitchen-minneapolis

http://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen/p/56

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 12:34PM
KS_Chicago

Sorry, here is the second link:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/73700/Expansive-Kitchen-traditional-kitchen-portland

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 12:36PM
debrak2008

If you do a granite BS it doesn't have to be 4". It can be lower or higher.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 12:57PM
teachertile

I have a 2 inch granite backsplash & I love it!! I knew I didn't want a 4", but I was very happy I decided on the 2" once it was put. I personally think it looks great. I would have loved a full granite backsplash, but that was not in our budget.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™