Kitchen sink Removal

muckyFebruary 1, 2012

I am remodeling my mother's kitchen and there is a Franke stainless steel sink on top of a tile counter top. There are some strange (to me) sink mounting clips that have a round slotted barrel at the bottom with a plastic " plug" insert. Does anyone have any idea what this is or how to remove them?

Hopefully this is the right forum in which to post this question...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

You should be able to use a screwdriver to loosen the clips, then rotate the clip arms so they no longer "grab" the countertop. Then pull the sink upwards and off the countertop.

Sealant is usually applied between the rim of the sink and the countertop, making it difficult to release the rim of the sink off the counter. How much and what type of sealant depends on the model and age of the sink and the installer.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 4:34PM
jaansu

once you get the clips out of the way, a good means to break the sink loose of the countertop is to place a car jack under the sink and sloooooooooooooooooooowly start putting pressure on it. If you are lucky, the old sealant will let go and the sink will pop out.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 12:57PM
brickeyee

"sloooooooooooooooooooowly start putting pressure on it"

If you try this use some 2x lumber to spread the jack force on the bottom of the sink.

Cutting the sealer (putty knives, old paring knife, razor blades) is usually adequate.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 9:49AM
mucky

Thanks for the replies, but there is no screw or arm on these clips; they look like springs, that's why I was asking about removal - thought they might be some specialized Euro thingy.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™