American Standard Deep Soak tub drain - is this really necessary?

lee676February 9, 2013

American Standard sells a "Deep Soak" overflow drain kit for bathtubs that increases the water depth by positioning the slots in the overflow drainplate near the top instead of at the bottom. It's fairly pricey, pushing $100, whereas generic tub overflow drain kits cost $25. Can't I accomplish the same thing simply by installing the overflow drain cover and gasket upside down? Or is there something I'm not thinking of that would cause a problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
djlandkpl

You can install the regular ones upside down. This expensive version probably has the holes on the side so it's not so visible.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 12:16PM
lazypup

If you tub is a built in skirted tub the drain fittings you have illustrated are prohibited unless you have a 12" x 12" service access panel either up from underneath or through an adjacent wall.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 3:37PM
lee676

It does (or will) have a service panel behind it in an adjacent room, at the back of a closet. The drywall isn't up yet in the room below it (which will be inside a closet in what's now an unfinished basement) - should we put an access panel there too to get underneath the tub drain area if necessary?

(one of the two tubs will be in the lower level above the concrete floor of the house, so no way to put an access panel underneath that one, though the side panel will be easy to put in).

How easy is it to change tub drain assemblies once they're installed? I've had pop-up drains fail in several homes I've worked in that couldn't be repaired from removing the overflow plate and drain flange.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 3:52PM
homebound

The expensive one probably has an extra gasket on the front side.

But I would think even that thing could leak water. Better to not encourage water getting up there too often. Just my two cents.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 12:54PM
lee676

These are the parts. It's obviously designed not to *look* like the drain slot is near the top.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™