Toilet tank leaking

bigackFebruary 4, 2011

Our tank is dripping inside, and makes little "flush" noises every minute or so. Does this sound like something we can fix easily, or do we need to call a plumber? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Usually, if you're handy at all.

Describe in more detail. Do you see any faint shimmers of water in the bowl (that would mean the water is getting past the flapper, so you would need a new one (very easy to replace). Just shot off the water to the toilet. Flush. Reach in and unclip it. Take to store to match it. (Alternatively, you can also describe to someone knowledgeable at the hardware store the toilet's age and brand of toilet and they'll steer you to the right one.)

Is the fill hose clipped to the edge of the overflow tube ? (It should be, and aimed into the tube.) It should not be just stuck down into the overflow tube.

Is the water level up to the edge of the overflow tube? Water needs to stop about 1" below the top edge. If it keeps running you need a fill valve (someone easy, but best to see it done once). I'd have a friend who's done it before show you how.

Good luck.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 4:42PM
brickeyee

'Phantom flushing' is often noticed when the fill valve opens to top the tank off.

It is almost always caused by a bad flapper valve in the tank, or occasionally by a rough seat for the flapper valve in the tank.

Not a hard or expensive fix.

Try a replacement flapper valve first.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 8:55AM
mongoct

I just went through the same thing a few days ago.

First I cleaned the flapper seat and replaced the flapper, took a couple of minutes to do. Didn't solve the problem, so I bought an entire refill assembly from the box store, about $19 if I recall. New fill valve, overflow tube assembly, flapper and flapper seat.

Turned off the toilet supply, flushed, sponged the excess water out of the tank. Removed the three threaded bolts that held the tank to the bowl, then removed the tank from the toilet bowl.

Removed and replaced the fill assembly. Removed and replaced the flapper seat and flapper and overfill tube assembly.

Reinstalled the tank on the bowl.

Attached the flush chain to the flush arm, I had to tweak and bend the flush arm a little as the geometry was different from the old one.

Turn the water on, check for leaks, enjoy!

Took about a half-hour, I started during intermission of a Bruins hockey game and missed the first five minutes or so of the next period.

Not complicated, just take your time and don't overtighten any bolts. You want snug, but you don't want to crack the china.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush -- Need reviews
Any more reviews on the dual flush Water Ridge toilet?...
smudgecat99
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
softener is not using up salt
I have hard well water (35 gpg, 0.5ppm iron, pH 7.0,...
deepdrop
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Toilets Memoris Classic 2-piece 1.28 GPF Elongated Toilet in Dune
Home Depot
KOHLER Toilet Bowls Cimarron Comfort Height Round Toilet Bowl Only in Biscuit
Home Depot
Simple Lines Single Wall Sconce with Water Glass by Hubbardton Forge
$150.00 | Lumens
BEMIS Seats NextStep Elongated Closed Front Toilet Seat in White 1583SLOW 000
$47.97 | Home Depot
Kingston Brass GKTD33226 Double Basin Drop In Kitchen Sink - GKTD33226
$74.72 | Hayneedle