Kitten's Raw Bum

AddisbabyJune 20, 2011

I have a 2 and a half week old kitten who's bum is raw. I also noticed two spots on the backs of his back legs that are raw as well. Momma kitty is doing a great job cleaning him, but he protests quite loudly so I know he's hurting. The only thing that 'happened' to him since he was born is that he fell into a litter box, a clean one, that I had set up at the end of my bed for the Mom. My sisters boyfriend said he found him and cleaned him up. I don't know if he used soap of any kind. When I looked at the kitten immediately following the clean up, I noticed his bum was raw and red, really looked like it was bleeding but it wasn't.

Any suggestions???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

First I'd find out exactly what the boyfriend used on the kitten since he shouldn't have needed to do anything if the litter box was clean. Then you should have the kitten checked out by a vet. The raw areas may have already been there before the kitten fell into the litter but, either way, you need to find out if your dealing with something that is infectious to mom and the other kittens.
When you return from the vet, be sure to take some clothing the mom cat is lying on and gently rub it on the kitten to help her recognize this kitten is hers.

My worry is that the kitten may become so sick it stops nursing, or the mom may reject it altogether.

Let us know what the vet says. Others may have suggestions but I'm curious as to how the vet will treat the kitten so that the mother doesn't lick off any medication or continue to irritate the area. You may end up having to do some supplemental feeding.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
Cat pees in bathtub
Why does he do this. I think it is the only place...
ryseryse_2004
Need some advice regarding my neighbor's dogs.......kinda long....
She has 3 dogs - 12 yr old Collie (some arthritis issues),...
kitasmommie
Let's see your beloved pets
We need some happy posts on this forum, so let's see...
pamghatten
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
loose aggressive dog on walk, need help
i need helpful advice about aggressive dog in neighborhood....
adoiron
Sponsored Products
ZUO Pillows 21 in. Square Kitten Outdoor Throw Pillow Chocolate base and
$75.00 | Home Depot
Bath Towel - KITTEN GRAY (BATH TOWEL)
$12.90 | Horchow
Kitten Chocolate Base and Multicolor Pattern Small Pillow
$38.00 | Bellacor
Kitten Oven Mitt
$7.99 | zulily
White Kitten Salt & Pepper Shakers
$10.99 | zulily