Weight issue: Cat with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

suzq_07June 18, 2009

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I've got a 7 year old male shorthair that was diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. To my delight, we've been dealing with this successfully for the past year and a half since diagnosis (originally diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure). We were given 12-18 months as an average lifespan following diagnosis. He is doing great other than the fact that he is SEVERELY overweight and has been gaining weight since diagnosis...18.6 lbs. We cannot seem to get his weight down and struggle with diet since we live in a multi-cat household. He is an indoor cat that is allowed to go outside during daylight hours and has been since he was a kitten. His "brother" is the same, but he's 13 and has struggled with maintaining a healthy weight when there are food restrictions in the house. Any suggestions?

Food intake is: splitting a can of fancy feast in the AM and 1/3 cup (in each bowl) of Innova EVO dry food in the evenings.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brutuses

You are fortunate that he is doing so well. Your vet was right on the expected life span on your cat. I've had 2 cats with that condition. My advice is not to stress too much over the weight gain. It could possibly be due to the medication or his own metabolic rate. He's not going to live a normal life span so I would love him, feed him healthy food and not worry about the weight. This is just my opinion.

I once had a very good vet tell me that he would rather see an animal a little overweight, especially one that has a chronic condition. That way when they have their bad days and don't want to eat, they'll have that extra fat reserve to help them through it. A normal weight cat can lose 50% of its' body mass within a week of not eating.

Good luck and bless you for taking such good care of that baby.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
I got a really nice clean looking orthopedic pet bed...
peabody1
dry food for cats that can't eat dry food ;)
Howdy all, There seems to be a lot of experience here...
GWgal
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
Have you had a cat just vanish?
My beautiful black cat, Midnight just vanished . I...
berk
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Catalina 34 in. Bisque Outdoor Table Lamp with
Home Depot
Zerenity 131.5"L Leather Sofa
$6,499.00 | Horchow
Charcoal Five-Piece All-Weather Urbana Sectional Set
$1,999.99 | zulily
Stellar Floor Lamp Chrome
ModernistLighting.com
Cat n Around Wands - Glitter Wands - 01060
$14.99 | Hayneedle