Do you clean your oven before or after?

sushipup1December 23, 2011

We'll be doing a 10# turkey tomorrow by high heat, and the oven needs cleaning. So, do you clean your oven before or after?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wizardnm

I would clean it before doing the turkey. High heat can cause a lot of smoke if the oven is dirty...ask me how I know.

Nancy

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 10:56AM
Rusty

Depends on the condition of the oven.

If it has spills in it,
definitely before.
Otherwise, clean it after,

Rusty

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 11:01AM
donnar57

Yes, I would clean the oven first. Nobody likes a smoky house, and that COULD set off your smoke alarms.

Donna

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 11:01AM
sherrmann

You're supposed to clean the oven? Huh. Mine is nine years old, and I never found out if the self-clean function works. I can no longer see throuh the glass on the door, but I do "sweep" out the crumbs that collect on the oven floor. Clean ovens are over-rated!

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 11:04AM
lindac

If a "dirty oven" has been used often enough, all the grease and spills will be burned off and there's no need to clean it before doing a high heat bird.
Someone once calculated that to run a full cycle clean it costs nearly $6.00 in power....think about it before you set the dials!
Linda C

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 11:11AM
johnliu_gw

How bad is your oven? I never clean mine. Okay, maybe once every few years. I don't like the self-cleaning cycle, I think the heat is bad for the electronics of an appliance that is already shoddily made in China and at 12 years old is well past its designed mean time before failure. And last time the self-cleaning door lock wouldn't disengage and I had to disassemble the oven to get it open. So I wouldn't run the self-cleaning before an important dinner. Maybe I'd use elbow grease to clean up the worst of the spills. Otherwise I'd just crank the vent fan, crack the windows, close the doors, unplug the smoke detector, and roast away.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 11:11AM
foodonastump

Clean? I'm just praying the darned thing works. Bought it off Craig's List a few weeks ago and haven't installed it yet. On my to-do list for today as I'm hosting Christmas dinner. Please wish me luck. It's OLD!

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 12:07PM
mustangs81

YES, because my SIL might look to see if it's clean.

I did recently ruin the finish on my beautiful, much loved, Breville toaster oven by cleaning it with oven spray (I tried ammonia first).

FOAS, Good luck! The first time I cooked Christmas dinner (which was the first week in our new house), the turkey wouldn't fit! We were busy moving in and I didn't realize that the oven was an apartment size oven.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 12:19PM
diinohio

Hahaha sherrman, I agree!

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 2:04PM
pris

I don't know about you guys, but, if it came down to me cleaning the oven the old fashioned way or spending $6.00 worth of electricity--- Well, you can guess what I would do. (That's true even if I had hands and knees capable of doing so.) I also don't let it get that bad. If I get a bad spill, it gets cleaned right away. I set it for the shortest cycle I can, 2 hrs on my oven, and have the option of canceling sooner if need be.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 2:46PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Just to add my 2 cents, I would have cleaned before, for no other reason than the fact it was dirty, and if necessary, after. I have a self cleaning oven that does work well.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 3:58PM
lyndaluu2

I clean mine when it starts to smoke while cooking something in it. I just set it at night and in the morning it sparkly clean.

Linda

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 4:04PM
ann_t

Helene, I'm sure you already know this, but if you use a pan that is just big enough for your turkey, you shouldn't have smoke. Unless something spilled in your oven recently, I wouldn't bother cleaning it now.

Ann

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 6:02PM
johnliu_gw

FOAS, what kind of oven did you get?

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 7:24PM
pkramer60

High heat roasting in a dirty oven may not smoke up your house but it sure gives off the most unpleasant odor. Ask me how I know!

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 8:50PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I wrongly gave the impression I am super clean which I'm not! But I do have an easy to use self cleaning oven so I use it often.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 10:04PM
ci_lantro

After! I had the same experience as Johnliu. Set the oven for the clean cycle and after cleaning, the lock wouldn't unlock. Something of an ordeal to get the dang oven to open. DH had to do some disassembly and, after that, the clean cycle won't work. It's a Kenmore rebadged General Electric hunk of junk. We don't use the oven a whole lot anyway so I just keep up w/ the spills w/ Comet or an SOS pad.

Bookmark   December 24, 2011 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
Substitutions that turned out better than the "real thing?"
Hi, all. The other day I wanted one of my "go-to"...
kiwigem
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™